Up Blasting Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Aetna Lion 100x6.jpg - 812kB]
 
Aetna Powder 1905 Mining Reporter
Aetna Lion Quadruple
Aetna Lion Quadruple Paper Label Side
Aetna Lion Quadruple Paper Label End
  Aetna Lion 100x6.jpg - AETNA LION BRAND -  Aetna Explosive Co. Lion brand 100 No. 6 cap tin, green and black, 1 11/16 in. dia. x 2 5/8 in. tall, marked on lid edge AETNA EXPLOSIVES CO. INC. NEW YORK and on tin bottom BLASTING CAPS 100 NO. 6 LION BRAND with a drawn lion between words, ca. 1914-21,an identical tin also exists with the wording Hercules Powder Co. Wilmington Dela. replacing Aetna ExplosiveS Co. Inc. New York and was used for a short time in 1921-22 after Hercules bought Aetna (The Aetna Powder Company was incorporated in Indiana on April 3, 1880 with James O. Parker as its president.  The corporate seal lists Schererville, Indiana which is believed to be the site of the first Aetna factory.  Addison O. Fay, president of the Miami Powder Company of Xenia, Ohio, was contacted by Parker to take over the company and in February 1881 became its president with full control of the company.  A new plant near Miller, Indiana was built to produce nitroglycerine dynamite.  By 1889, this plant was producing 750,000 pounds.  The company continued to expand its operations with its main sales office in Chicago but other important branches were located in Birmingham, Alabama; Duluth, Minnesota; Iron Mountain, Michigan; Louisville, Kentucky; St. Louis, Missouri; and Columbus, Ohio.  Addison Fay died in 1906 and his son Addison G. Fay became president, serving till 1914.  A. J. Moxham, after departing as a director of the Dupont Company following the antitrust action in 1912, developed a plan to compete with Dupont by consolidating into one company the principal competitors to the much larger company.  The Aetna Explosives Company was incorporated in New York on November 24, 1914 with Moxham as president.  The companies absorbed into the new company included Aetna Powder Company, Keystone National Powder Company, Pluto Powder Company, Jefferson Powder Company, Miami Powder Company, and F. K. Brewster, Inc.  The company officials decided to pursue government contracts for explosives as World War I offered enormous amounts of money.  By 1916, they had over $30M in contracts that required the construction of huge munitions plants as well as additional financing.  As the war progressed, Aetna became focused on munitions while the commercial explosives business was nearly ignored.  As the war came to an end, so did the huge contracts.  The company was so over-expanded and with such large debt, receivership was inevitable.  In 1921, the Aetna Explosives Company was sold to the Hercules Powder Company.  See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, pp 541-560)  
American Explosives
Atlas Powders 1924 Engineering and Mining Journal
Atlas 25 x 6 Front
Atlas Rectangular
Atlas 100 x 6

Aetna Lion 100x6 | AETNA LION BRAND - Aetna Explosive Co. Lion brand 100 No. 6 cap tin, green and black, 1 11/16 in. dia. x 2 5/8 in. tall, marked on lid edge AETNA EXPLOSIVES CO. INC. NEW YORK and on tin bottom BLASTING CAPS 100 NO. 6 LION BRAND with a drawn lion between words, ca. 1914-21,an identical tin also exists with the wording Hercules Powder Co. Wilmington Dela. replacing Aetna ExplosiveS Co. Inc. New York and was used for a short time in 1921-22 after Hercules bought Aetna (The Aetna Powder Company was incorporated in Indiana on April 3, 1880 with James O. Parker as its president. The corporate seal lists Schererville, Indiana which is believed to be the site of the first Aetna factory. Addison O. Fay, president of the Miami Powder Company of Xenia, Ohio, was contacted by Parker to take over the company and in February 1881 became its president with full control of the company. A new plant near Miller, Indiana was built to produce nitroglycerine dynamite. By 1889, this plant was producing 750,000 pounds. The company continued to expand its operations with its main sales office in Chicago but other important branches were located in Birmingham, Alabama; Duluth, Minnesota; Iron Mountain, Michigan; Louisville, Kentucky; St. Louis, Missouri; and Columbus, Ohio. Addison Fay died in 1906 and his son Addison G. Fay became president, serving till 1914. A. J. Moxham, after departing as a director of the Dupont Company following the antitrust action in 1912, developed a plan to compete with Dupont by consolidating into one company the principal competitors to the much larger company. The Aetna Explosives Company was incorporated in New York on November 24, 1914 with Moxham as president. The companies absorbed into the new company included Aetna Powder Company, Keystone National Powder Company, Pluto Powder Company, Jefferson Powder Company, Miami Powder Company, and F. K. Brewster, Inc. The company officials decided to pursue government contracts for explosives as World War I offered enormous amounts of money. By 1916, they had over $30M in contracts that required the construction of huge munitions plants as well as additional financing. As the war progressed, Aetna became focused on munitions while the commercial explosives business was nearly ignored. As the war came to an end, so did the huge contracts. The company was so over-expanded and with such large debt, receivership was inevitable. In 1921, the Aetna Explosives Company was sold to the Hercules Powder Company. See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, pp 541-560) Download Original Image
Total images: 168 | Last update: 6/11/16 5:22 PM | Help