Up Blasting Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Austin Powder.jpg - 809kB]
Atlas Powder Round Hash Marks
Atlas Chemical Round
Atlas
Atlas Blasting Machine Tag
Austin Powder Ad - 1915 Keystone Coal Catalogue
  Austin Powder.jpg - AUSTIN POWDER 100 X 6 - Austin Powder Co.100 No. 6 cap tin, red with white letters, 1 1/2 in. H x 2 1/8 in. x 2 1/2 in. box, marked on lid BLASTING CAPS AUSTIN POWDER COMPANY CLEVELAND, OHIO, U.S.A. with AUSTIN USED IN 1833 & EVER SINCE in diamond shaped label, ca. 1910-1930  (The Austin Powder Co. was formed near Akron, OH in 1833.  It is second only to Dupont as the oldest and largest explosives manufacturer in America.  The company was founded by the five sons of Linus Austin (1773-1854).  The five brothers, Daniel H., Alvin, Lorenzo B., Cyrus, and Linus were born in Wilmington, VT and traveled west as far as Kansas City, Missouri in 1832 to start a powder business.  Unhappy with their business prospects, they returned.  On the way back in 1833, they stopped at Akron, OH along the canal and started a business at Old Forge to manufacture blasting powder.  Thus started the Austin Powder Company.  The company slowly expanded and in 1865, Austin Powder Co. purchased the plant of the Cleveland Powder Company on the southern edge of Cleveland at the Five Mile Lock of the Ohio Canal in Cuyahoga County.  To provide capital for expansion, the company was then incorporated in Ohio in 1867 for “the sale of blasting, mining, shipping, cannon, meal and sporting powder.”  Daniel H. Austin was the first president and Linus Austin the first secretary.  Both plants at Old Forge and Cleveland were operated together for the next 4 years but eventually the Old Forge plant was closed and all production was centered at Cleveland which was operated until 1907.  An era ended in 1887 with the death of Linus Austin, the last of the five founding brothers that had directed the firm for 54 years.  The company’s business was expanding and in 1892, a new set of mills was constructed at Glenwillow, Cuyahoga County, just south of Cleveland to manufacture blasting powder.  The company’s production in 1922 totaled 480,000 kegs, with 98% of the capacity being used in the coal fields of Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania.  Mining needs in the 1920s required dynamite and Austin continued to manufacture only blasting powder.  To make the switch to dynamite, Austin developed a plant in Vinton County east of McArthur, OH with first production in 1931.  The plant was named Red Diamond to identify it with the Austin-produced dynamite brand.  During WW II the Glenwillow plant converted entirely to military explosives.  Following the war’s end, the plant returned to black powder production but post-war use of black powder continued to decline dramatically.  The company started production of detonating cord in 1951 at Glenwillow where it remained until the line was moved to Red Diamond in 1972.  The Glenwillow plant was closed in 1979 after 87 years of continuous operation.  The company has continued to expand operations until today, Austin Powder Company is a large explosives company with a marketing and manufacturing presence in all 50 states.  See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, 1927, pp 265-268 and Arthur Austin, Austin Powder Blast, 1983)  
Burton Explosives 100x6
California Cap Co. 1923 Keystone Mining Catalogue
California Cap Co
California Cap 100 x 6 I
California Cap 100 x 6 II

Austin Powder | AUSTIN POWDER 100 X 6 - Austin Powder Co.100 No. 6 cap tin, red with white letters, 1 1/2 in. H x 2 1/8 in. x 2 1/2 in. box, marked on lid BLASTING CAPS AUSTIN POWDER COMPANY CLEVELAND, OHIO, U.S.A. with AUSTIN USED IN 1833 & EVER SINCE in diamond shaped label, ca. 1910-1930 (The Austin Powder Co. was formed near Akron, OH in 1833. It is second only to Dupont as the oldest and largest explosives manufacturer in America. The company was founded by the five sons of Linus Austin (1773-1854). The five brothers, Daniel H., Alvin, Lorenzo B., Cyrus, and Linus were born in Wilmington, VT and traveled west as far as Kansas City, Missouri in 1832 to start a powder business. Unhappy with their business prospects, they returned. On the way back in 1833, they stopped at Akron, OH along the canal and started a business at Old Forge to manufacture blasting powder. Thus started the Austin Powder Company. The company slowly expanded and in 1865, Austin Powder Co. purchased the plant of the Cleveland Powder Company on the southern edge of Cleveland at the Five Mile Lock of the Ohio Canal in Cuyahoga County. To provide capital for expansion, the company was then incorporated in Ohio in 1867 for “the sale of blasting, mining, shipping, cannon, meal and sporting powder.” Daniel H. Austin was the first president and Linus Austin the first secretary. Both plants at Old Forge and Cleveland were operated together for the next 4 years but eventually the Old Forge plant was closed and all production was centered at Cleveland which was operated until 1907. An era ended in 1887 with the death of Linus Austin, the last of the five founding brothers that had directed the firm for 54 years. The company’s business was expanding and in 1892, a new set of mills was constructed at Glenwillow, Cuyahoga County, just south of Cleveland to manufacture blasting powder. The company’s production in 1922 totaled 480,000 kegs, with 98% of the capacity being used in the coal fields of Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. Mining needs in the 1920s required dynamite and Austin continued to manufacture only blasting powder. To make the switch to dynamite, Austin developed a plant in Vinton County east of McArthur, OH with first production in 1931. The plant was named Red Diamond to identify it with the Austin-produced dynamite brand. During WW II the Glenwillow plant converted entirely to military explosives. Following the war’s end, the plant returned to black powder production but post-war use of black powder continued to decline dramatically. The company started production of detonating cord in 1951 at Glenwillow where it remained until the line was moved to Red Diamond in 1972. The Glenwillow plant was closed in 1979 after 87 years of continuous operation. The company has continued to expand operations until today, Austin Powder Company is a large explosives company with a marketing and manufacturing presence in all 50 states. See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, 1927, pp 265-268 and Arthur Austin, Austin Powder Blast, 1983) Download Original Image
Total images: 168 | Last update: 6/11/16 5:22 PM | Help