Up Blasting Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Burton Explosives 100x6.jpg - 945kB]
Atlas Chemical Round
Atlas
Atlas Blasting Machine Tag
Austin Powder Ad - 1915 Keystone Coal Catalogue
Austin Powder
  Burton Explosives 100x6.jpg - BURTON EXPLOSIVES 100 X 6 - Burton Explosives, Cleveland, OH, red and gold 100 No. 6 cap tin, 2 5/8 in. x 2 1/8 in. x 1 7/8 in. tall; acquired from Walt Goetz   (The Burton Powder Company was incorporated on December 9, 1903 under the laws of Pennsylvania by Job Burton, Thomas J. Ohl and Joseph H. Riddle.  Job Burton was named president and the first mill was built in 1904 near Quaker Falls, Pennsylvania (this mill is also referred to as the Lowellville mill named for the neighboring Ohio town).  The mill had a rated capacity of 540,000 kegs of blasting powder.  On July 1, 1917, the Burton Powder Company, the American High Explosives Company and the Cameron Powder Manufacturing Company all merged to form the Grasselli Powder Company.  Burton was manufacturing black powder and the other two companies were both dynamite manufacturers.  Job Burton was named president of the new corporation and the main office was located in Cleveland, Ohio with the principal sales office in Pittsburgh.  Other important branches were located at Birmingham, Alabama; Bluefield, West Virginia; Chicago, Illinois; Miami, Florida; and four other cities in Pennsylvania.  In 1928, Grasselli was gobbled up by Dupont and Burton moved on but not for long.  In 1930, Burton Explosives was incorporated in Newcastle, PA with Burton as its president.  The company continued to manufacture blasting caps into the mid-1940s.  See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, pp 160-61, 626-27 and Martin, Blasting Cap Tin Catalog, pp 18-20)  
California Cap Co. 1923 Keystone Mining Catalogue
California Cap Co
California Cap 100 x 6 I
California Cap 100 x 6 II
California Cap 100 x 6 III

Burton Explosives 100x6 | BURTON EXPLOSIVES 100 X 6 - Burton Explosives, Cleveland, OH, red and gold 100 No. 6 cap tin, 2 5/8 in. x 2 1/8 in. x 1 7/8 in. tall; acquired from Walt Goetz (The Burton Powder Company was incorporated on December 9, 1903 under the laws of Pennsylvania by Job Burton, Thomas J. Ohl and Joseph H. Riddle. Job Burton was named president and the first mill was built in 1904 near Quaker Falls, Pennsylvania (this mill is also referred to as the Lowellville mill named for the neighboring Ohio town). The mill had a rated capacity of 540,000 kegs of blasting powder. On July 1, 1917, the Burton Powder Company, the American High Explosives Company and the Cameron Powder Manufacturing Company all merged to form the Grasselli Powder Company. Burton was manufacturing black powder and the other two companies were both dynamite manufacturers. Job Burton was named president of the new corporation and the main office was located in Cleveland, Ohio with the principal sales office in Pittsburgh. Other important branches were located at Birmingham, Alabama; Bluefield, West Virginia; Chicago, Illinois; Miami, Florida; and four other cities in Pennsylvania. In 1928, Grasselli was gobbled up by Dupont and Burton moved on but not for long. In 1930, Burton Explosives was incorporated in Newcastle, PA with Burton as its president. The company continued to manufacture blasting caps into the mid-1940s. See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, pp 160-61, 626-27 and Martin, Blasting Cap Tin Catalog, pp 18-20) Download Original Image
Total images: 168 | Last update: 6/11/16 5:22 PM | Help