Up Blasting Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Fort Pitt Caps.jpg - 1.4MB]
Eveready Single Shot Blaster Side Marking
Eveready Single Shot Blaster and Firing Unit Showing Contact Point
Eveready Single Shot Blaster Bureau of Mines Approval
Fidelity
Fort Pitt Ad - 1915 Keystone Coal Catalogue
  Fort Pitt Caps.jpg - FORT PITT - Very rare tin, marked on top in light blue with white letters 100 FORT PITT BLASTING CAPS, 1 1/8 x 2 1/8 x 2 ½ in. box with crimped bottom  (The Fort Pitt Powder Company of Pittsburgh was incorporated in Pennsylvania in 1911 with George W. Reese as president.  The company operated a blasting powder mill at Putneyville, PA that eventually reached a daily capacity of 1000 kegs.  In 1912, they acquired the American Cap Company and their blasting cap plant at Scottdale, PA which just started in business 2 years earlier with Charles Loucke as president.  Fort Pitt Powder Co. also sold their brand of dynamite that was made by the Cameron Powder Company.  In 1916, they were purchased by the Atlas Powder Company.  The Fort Pitt cap tin is very rare due to the very short time they were manufactured.  The tin originally came with a paper label on the bottom.  The top depicts an ore car at the mouth of a mine below a representation of Fort Pitt, an historic fort located in downtown Pittsburgh.  This tin is one of Andy Martin’s arguable top ten cap tins.  See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, pp 310, 472-74, 761 and Martin, Blasting Cap Tin Catalog, p 44)  
Fuse Cutter and Dynamite Poke Tool
Gail & Ax Tobacco 1884
004
Gail & Ax Squib Box
Gail & Ax Squib Box Cap Open

Fort Pitt Caps | FORT PITT - Very rare tin, marked on top in light blue with white letters 100 FORT PITT BLASTING CAPS, 1 1/8 x 2 1/8 x 2 ½ in. box with crimped bottom (The Fort Pitt Powder Company of Pittsburgh was incorporated in Pennsylvania in 1911 with George W. Reese as president. The company operated a blasting powder mill at Putneyville, PA that eventually reached a daily capacity of 1000 kegs. In 1912, they acquired the American Cap Company and their blasting cap plant at Scottdale, PA which just started in business 2 years earlier with Charles Loucke as president. Fort Pitt Powder Co. also sold their brand of dynamite that was made by the Cameron Powder Company. In 1916, they were purchased by the Atlas Powder Company. The Fort Pitt cap tin is very rare due to the very short time they were manufactured. The tin originally came with a paper label on the bottom. The top depicts an ore car at the mouth of a mine below a representation of Fort Pitt, an historic fort located in downtown Pittsburgh. This tin is one of Andy Martin’s arguable top ten cap tins. See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, pp 310, 472-74, 761 and Martin, Blasting Cap Tin Catalog, p 44) Download Original Image
Total images: 168 | Last update: 6/11/16 5:22 PM | Help