Up Blasting Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [H Julius Smith Blaster Top Plate.JPG - 1.6MB]
001
Grasselli
Grasselli 25x6
Grasselli Cap Crimper Side1
Grasselli Cap Crimper Side2
  H Julius Smith Blaster Top Plate.JPG - H JULIUS SMITH BLASTER BRASS TOP PLATE - Solid brass top plate for H JuliusSmith early blasting machine, 7 in. long by 5 1/16 in. wide by 1/8 in. thick, sides 11/16 in. tall, weighs 2 lb. 5 oz., embossed top marking H JULIUS SMITH’SIGNITING DYNAMO MANUFACTURED SOLELY BY LAFLIN & RAND POWDER CO.’PATENTED MAR 12 1878.  The Smith blasting machines with the solid brass plate on top and one patent date are the earliest plunger type blasters likely manufactured between 1878 to 1886  [The first successful electrical blasting machine was invented by explosive detonation genius H. (Henry) Julius Smith in 1878. It comprised a gear-type arrangement of rack bar and pinion that operated an armature to generate electricity. When the rack bar was pushed down rapidly, it revolved the pinion and armature with sufficient speed to obtain the desired current to fire an electrical cap.  Smith was a prolific inventor of blasting items as well as other mechanical devices.  Born in 1846 he grew up in the Boston area.  His experience working on the Hoosac Tunnel in western Massachusetts began a long career in perfecting electrical explosive detonation.  Completed in 1875 the 4.75 mile Hoosac Tunnel was the second longest railroad tunnel in the world at the time.  Smith while working for the Oriental Powder Company of Boston solved the project delaying issue of rock blasting detonation problems.  His first patent for an electric fuse was awarded to Smith as patent No. 79,268 on June 23, 1868 at age 22.  This patented cap combined a spark gap ignitor and mercury fulminate, the first electric cap able to detonate dynamite.  Patents for improvements to his electric fuse were issued to Smith on Nov. 23, 1869 (No. 97,241), June 14,1870 (No. 104,217), Mar. 21, 1871 (No.112,859), Feb. 15, 1876 (No. 173,681) and Mar. 2, 1880 (No. 225,173).  While working as a master mechanic at the Wayne Mills in Wayne, NJ for the Laflin & Rand Powder Company, Smith developed and patented the electrical blasting machine.  Awarded as patent No. 201,296 on Mar. 12, 1878 while living in Mountain View, NJ, he called his “exploder” the magneto-electric machine that established a design for plunger-type machines for decades to come.  Laflin & Rand Powder Company had exclusive rights to manufacture Smith’s blasting machine.  He was awarded patents for improvements to the magneto-electric machine on Dec. 7, 1886 (No. 353,827) and Feb. 19, 1895 (No. 534,288).  Smith left Laflin & Rand in 1886 to start his own blasting cap factory called the Smith Fuse Works in Pompton Lakes, NJ.  His blasting caps were known worldwide for dependability and effectiveness.  Smith had several other business interests prior to his death in Sept. 1901.  He was elected the first mayor of the newly created borough of Pompton Lakes in 1895 and reelected mayor in 1899.  After his death, his two sons ran the business.  Du Pont acquired control of Laflin & Rand Powder Company in 1902 and in 1908, they purchased the Smith Fuse Works.  Although Smith’s legacy was established in explosives detonation, the man held numerous other patents including amalgamating of precious metals in 1867, an electro-hydrocarbon gas machine in 1870, improvements in the launch and detonation of torpedoes in 1872 and steamship steering in 1873 to name a few.]  
H Julius Smith Blaster Top Plate Backside
Hercules Powders 1915 Colliery Engineer
Hercules 25 No. 6
Hercules No 1 Cap Crimper
Hercules 10x6

H Julius Smith Blaster Top Plate | H JULIUS SMITH BLASTER BRASS TOP PLATE - Solid brass top plate for H Julius Smith early blasting machine, 7 in. long by 5 1/16 in. wide by 1/8 in. thick, sides 11/16 in. tall, weighs 2 lb. 5 oz., embossed top marking H JULIUS SMITH’S IGNITING DYNAMO MANUFACTURED SOLELY BY LAFLIN & RAND POWDER CO.’ PATENTED MAR 12 1878. The Smith blasting machines with the solid brass plate on top and one patent date are the earliest plunger type blasters likely manufactured between 1878 to 1886 [The first successful electrical blasting machine was invented by explosive detonation genius H. (Henry) Julius Smith in 1878. It comprised a gear-type arrangement of rack bar and pinion that operated an armature to generate electricity. When the rack bar was pushed down rapidly, it revolved the pinion and armature with sufficient speed to obtain the desired current to fire an electrical cap. Smith was a prolific inventor of blasting items as well as other mechanical devices. Born in 1846 he grew up in the Boston area. His experience working on the Hoosac Tunnel in western Massachusetts began a long career in perfecting electrical explosive detonation. Completed in 1875 the 4.75 mile Hoosac Tunnel was the second longest railroad tunnel in the world at the time. Smith while working for the Oriental Powder Company of Boston solved the project delaying issue of rock blasting detonation problems. His first patent for an electric fuse was awarded to Smith as patent No. 79,268 on June 23, 1868 at age 22. This patented cap combined a spark gap ignitor and mercury fulminate, the first electric cap able to detonate dynamite. Patents for improvements to his electric fuse were issued to Smith on Nov. 23, 1869 (No. 97,241), June 14,1870 (No. 104,217), Mar. 21, 1871 (No.112,859), Feb. 15, 1876 (No. 173,681) and Mar. 2, 1880 (No. 225,173). While working as a master mechanic at the Wayne Mills in Wayne, NJ for the Laflin & Rand Powder Company, Smith developed and patented the electrical blasting machine. Awarded as patent No. 201,296 on Mar. 12, 1878 while living in Mountain View, NJ, he called his “exploder” the magneto-electric machine that established a design for plunger-type machines for decades to come. Laflin & Rand Powder Company had exclusive rights to manufacture Smith’s blasting machine. He was awarded patents for improvements to the magneto-electric machine on Dec. 7, 1886 (No. 353,827) and Feb. 19, 1895 (No. 534,288). Smith left Laflin & Rand in 1886 to start his own blasting cap factory called the Smith Fuse Works in Pompton Lakes, NJ. His blasting caps were known worldwide for dependability and effectiveness. Smith had several other business interests prior to his death in Sept. 1901. He was elected the first mayor of the newly created borough of Pompton Lakes in 1895 and reelected mayor in 1899. After his death, his two sons ran the business. Du Pont acquired control of Laflin & Rand Powder Company in 1902 and in 1908, they purchased the Smith Fuse Works. Although Smith’s legacy was established in explosives detonation, the man held numerous other patents including amalgamating of precious metals in 1867, an electro-hydrocarbon gas machine in 1870, improvements in the launch and detonation of torpedoes in 1872 and steamship steering in 1873 to name a few.] Download Original Image
Total images: 168 | Last update: 6/11/16 5:22 PM | Help