Up Blasting Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Illinois Powder Western 100 x 6.jpg - 710kB]
Hercules 100 No. 6
Hercules Midget
Hercules
Hercules Blasting Machine Tag
Illinois Powder Mfg. 100 x 6
  Illinois Powder Western 100 x 6.jpg - ILLINOIS POWDER WESTERN - ILLINOIS tin, Illinois Powder Mfg. Co., St. Louis, MO by Western Cartridge Co., red/yellow rectangular 100 No. 6 cap tin, 2 5/8 in. x 2 1/8 in. x 1 7/8 in. high  (The Illinois Powder Company was promoted by J. Lowe White who had been selling black powder and dynamite in Chicago and later St. Louis since 1892 as an agent representing the Hazard Powder Company in Chicago and the Austin Powder Company and Keystone Powder Manufacturing Company in St. Louis.  The powder and especially the dynamite business grew rapidly from 1902 to 1906 and White was convinced that St. Louis would continue to be a major explosives distribution center for the southwest.  On May 3, 1907, the Illinois Powder Company was incorporated in Missouri with White, Almon Lent (president of Austin Powder Company) and A. C. Blum (formerly of Keystone) among the stockholders.  A new dynamite factory was completed in 1908 in Sherman Hollow, near Grafton, Illinois.  Gold Medal Dynamite was the trade name selected by the company in recognition of the gold medal received by White for the best display of explosives at the Trans-Mississippi Exposition in Omaha, Nebraska during 1898 while he was still representing other powder companies.  When permissibles were introduced later, Black Diamond Powder was adopted as the trade name for these dynamite grades.  From the company’s beginning, White managed the business as secretary/treasurer while Blum was the first president.  In 1917, White was named president.  A plant explosion in 1922 required a rebuilding of the plant with numerous improvements.  The rebuilt plant had an annual capacity of 10,500,000 pounds of dynamite.  The company continued operations into the 1940s.  At some point, blasting caps were made for Illinois Powder by the Western Cartridge Company.  See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, pp 630-32)  
Illinois Western 100x8
Judson Dynamite Box End
King Powder Co. Ad in 1918 Mining Catalog
King Powder Co
Metallic Cap Mfg. Co. 1901 Mines and Minerals

Illinois Powder Western 100 x 6 | ILLINOIS POWDER WESTERN - ILLINOIS tin, Illinois Powder Mfg. Co., St. Louis, MO by Western Cartridge Co., red/yellow rectangular 100 No. 6 cap tin, 2 5/8 in. x 2 1/8 in. x 1 7/8 in. high (The Illinois Powder Company was promoted by J. Lowe White who had been selling black powder and dynamite in Chicago and later St. Louis since 1892 as an agent representing the Hazard Powder Company in Chicago and the Austin Powder Company and Keystone Powder Manufacturing Company in St. Louis. The powder and especially the dynamite business grew rapidly from 1902 to 1906 and White was convinced that St. Louis would continue to be a major explosives distribution center for the southwest. On May 3, 1907, the Illinois Powder Company was incorporated in Missouri with White, Almon Lent (president of Austin Powder Company) and A. C. Blum (formerly of Keystone) among the stockholders. A new dynamite factory was completed in 1908 in Sherman Hollow, near Grafton, Illinois. Gold Medal Dynamite was the trade name selected by the company in recognition of the gold medal received by White for the best display of explosives at the Trans-Mississippi Exposition in Omaha, Nebraska during 1898 while he was still representing other powder companies. When permissibles were introduced later, Black Diamond Powder was adopted as the trade name for these dynamite grades. From the company’s beginning, White managed the business as secretary/treasurer while Blum was the first president. In 1917, White was named president. A plant explosion in 1922 required a rebuilding of the plant with numerous improvements. The rebuilt plant had an annual capacity of 10,500,000 pounds of dynamite. The company continued operations into the 1940s. At some point, blasting caps were made for Illinois Powder by the Western Cartridge Company. See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, pp 630-32) Download Original Image
Total images: 168 | Last update: 6/11/16 5:22 PM | Help