Up Blasting Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [King Powder Co.JPG - 820kB]
Illinois Powder Mfg. 100 x 6
Illinois Powder Western 100 x 6
Illinois Western 100x8
Judson Dynamite Box End
King Powder Co. Ad in 1918 Mining Catalog
  King Powder Co.JPG - KING POWDER COMPANY - Very rare round King Powder Co. 100 No. 6 tin, painted orange with red and white letters, 1 5/8 x 2 5/8 in. cylinder, 1910-1940, crimped bottom, marked on top KING POWDERS 100 No. 6 BLASTING CAPS THE KINGPOWDER COMPANY, CINCINNATI, OHIO with King Powders printed on a crown, ex-Bill Collins collection  (Joseph Warren King was born at Suffield, CT on August 30, 1814.  He entered the powder business in 1850 joining two Austin brothers, Alvin and Lorenzo, to form the Austin and King Powder Company with a newly constructed mill near Xenia, OH.  By 1855 the two Austin brothers had left the company and King along with four others incorporated the Miami Powder Company on May 26, 1855.  The company expanded its production of black powder and by 1872, Addison Fay and a group of investors had taken over management of the company.  Joseph King sold his interests in the Miami Powder Company and in 1877, he along with his nephew Ahimaaz King started the Great Western Powder Company.  Incorporated in 1878, the Great Western Powder Company built a small mill on the banks of the Little Miami River about 30 miles south of Xenia near the town of South Lebanon.  Following King’s death in 1885, his son-in-law G. M. Peters succeeded him as president and by 1889, the company’s name was changed to The King Powder Company.  That same year, the town of King’s Mills, OH was built by the company to house workers.  Two years earlier, G. M. Peters invented a machine to automatically load shotgun shells and the Peters Cartridge Company under ownership of the King Powder Company was formed on the opposite bank of the Little Miami River.  A series of explosions marred the company’s production but the company prospered and even built a second mill in Greenup County, KY.  King Powder sold the Peters Cartridge Company to Remington Arms in 1934 and Remington continued to produce ammunition at King’s Mills until 1944.  The King Powder Company continued to operate out of King’s Mills producing blasting powder but went out of business in 1958.  Many of the King Powder Company buildings were burned to the ground after the company’s closing due to the dangerously explosive residue. Assets were liquidated by 1962.  King’s Mills soon became the home of the popular Kings Island amusement park along the banks of the Little Miami River near the remnants of the King Powder Company. .  See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, 1927, pp 272-281)   
Metallic Cap Mfg. Co. 1901 Mines and Minerals
MCMfgCo Gold Medal Top
MCMfgCo Gold Medal Bottom
MCMfgCo Silver Medal Top
MCMfgCo Silver Medal Bottom

King Powder Co | KING POWDER COMPANY - Very rare round King Powder Co. 100 No. 6 tin, painted orange with red and white letters, 1 5/8 x 2 5/8 in. cylinder, 1910-1940, crimped bottom, marked on top KING POWDERS 100 No. 6 BLASTING CAPS THE KING POWDER COMPANY, CINCINNATI, OHIO with King Powders printed on a crown, ex-Bill Collins collection (Joseph Warren King was born at Suffield, CT on August 30, 1814. He entered the powder business in 1850 joining two Austin brothers, Alvin and Lorenzo, to form the Austin and King Powder Company with a newly constructed mill near Xenia, OH. By 1855 the two Austin brothers had left the company and King along with four others incorporated the Miami Powder Company on May 26, 1855. The company expanded its production of black powder and by 1872, Addison Fay and a group of investors had taken over management of the company. Joseph King sold his interests in the Miami Powder Company and in 1877, he along with his nephew Ahimaaz King started the Great Western Powder Company. Incorporated in 1878, the Great Western Powder Company built a small mill on the banks of the Little Miami River about 30 miles south of Xenia near the town of South Lebanon. Following King’s death in 1885, his son-in-law G. M. Peters succeeded him as president and by 1889, the company’s name was changed to The King Powder Company. That same year, the town of King’s Mills, OH was built by the company to house workers. Two years earlier, G. M. Peters invented a machine to automatically load shotgun shells and the Peters Cartridge Company under ownership of the King Powder Company was formed on the opposite bank of the Little Miami River. A series of explosions marred the company’s production but the company prospered and even built a second mill in Greenup County, KY. King Powder sold the Peters Cartridge Company to Remington Arms in 1934 and Remington continued to produce ammunition at King’s Mills until 1944. The King Powder Company continued to operate out of King’s Mills producing blasting powder but went out of business in 1958. Many of the King Powder Company buildings were burned to the ground after the company’s closing due to the dangerously explosive residue. Assets were liquidated by 1962. King’s Mills soon became the home of the popular Kings Island amusement park along the banks of the Little Miami River near the remnants of the King Powder Company. . See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, 1927, pp 272-281) Download Original Image
Total images: 153 | Last update: 6/18/14 1:53 PM | Help