Up Blasting Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [MCMfg.Works 100 x 5.jpg - 686kB]
Metallic Cap Mfg. Co. 1901 Mines and Minerals
MCMfgCo Gold Medal Top
MCMfgCo Gold Medal Bottom
MCMfgCo Silver Medal Top
MCMfgCo Silver Medal Bottom
  MCMfg.Works 100 x 5.jpg - M. C. MFG. WORKS 100 X 5 - M.C.MFG. Works, Pompton Lakes, NJ, blue/white rectangular 100 No. 5 cap tin, 2 5/8 in. x 2 1/8 in. x 1 3/8 in. high, 1910-1920  (While the California Cap Company was starting up in the west, another company named the Metallic Cap Manufacturing Company was being formed in the east.  H. S. Chapman and his brother-in-law Frank K. Brewster incorporated the company in 1879 and started producing blasting caps on the Brewster farm near Suffield, Connecticut.  Three years later an explosion and fire destroyed the plant and a new plant was built near Bethayres, Pennsylvania and a fulminate factory was built at Prescott, Ontario.  In 1890 the Bethayres plant was also destroyed by an explosion and a new site near Pompton Lakes, New Jersey was selected for a plant.  The Metallic Cap Manufacturing Company, like the California Cap Company in the west, dominated the blasting cap market in the east.  In 1907, the company and its Pompton Lakes plant were sold to the Dupont Company which continued to operate the plant until the late 1960s.  It’s interesting to note that after the sale to Dupont, tins were marked Metallic Cap Mfg. Works.  Prior to that, they were marked Metallic Cap Mfg. Co.  See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives industry in America, pp 759-761 and Martin, Blasting Cap Tin Catalog, pp 56-62)  
MCMfg.Works 100 x 6
Miner's Safety Loading Tools Closed
Miner's Safety Loading Tools Closed  with Knife Open
Miner's Safety Loading Tools Open
Des Moineaux Patent I

MCMfg.Works 100 x 5 | M. C. MFG. WORKS 100 X 5 - M.C.MFG. Works, Pompton Lakes, NJ, blue/white rectangular 100 No. 5 cap tin, 2 5/8 in. x 2 1/8 in. x 1 3/8 in. high, 1910-1920 (While the California Cap Company was starting up in the west, another company named the Metallic Cap Manufacturing Company was being formed in the east. H. S. Chapman and his brother-in-law Frank K. Brewster incorporated the company in 1879 and started producing blasting caps on the Brewster farm near Suffield, Connecticut. Three years later an explosion and fire destroyed the plant and a new plant was built near Bethayres, Pennsylvania and a fulminate factory was built at Prescott, Ontario. In 1890 the Bethayres plant was also destroyed by an explosion and a new site near Pompton Lakes, New Jersey was selected for a plant. The Metallic Cap Manufacturing Company, like the California Cap Company in the west, dominated the blasting cap market in the east. In 1907, the company and its Pompton Lakes plant were sold to the Dupont Company which continued to operate the plant until the late 1960s. It’s interesting to note that after the sale to Dupont, tins were marked Metallic Cap Mfg. Works. Prior to that, they were marked Metallic Cap Mfg. Co. See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives industry in America, pp 759-761 and Martin, Blasting Cap Tin Catalog, pp 56-62) Download Original Image
Total images: 168 | Last update: 6/11/16 5:22 PM | Help