Up Blasting Items Prev Next

 Previous image  At last page  Index page  Original Image [Western 100x8.JPG - 776kB]
Victor Blasting Machine Ad from July 1901 Mines and Minerals
Victor No. 1 Blasting Machine Tag
Victor No. 1 Blasting Machine Dupont Tag
Victor No. 1 McLeod Patent
Western 100x6
  Western 100x8.JPG - WESTERN CARTRIDGE 100 X 8 - WESTERN TRADE MARK, WESTERN CARTRIDGE CO. EAST ALTON, ILL. 100 No. 8 BLASTING CAPS, crimped bottom, painted blue with gilt letters, 2 5/8 x 2 1/8 x 2 ½ high   (In May 1892, Franklin W. Olin and his associates incorporated the Equitable Powder Manufacturing Company in New Jersey to manufacture black powder.  The first mill, located in East Alton, Illinois, was completed in 1893 and sold its product chiefly to the mines in the area. Because that business was seasonal, Olin became interested in loading shotshells. In February 1898, he persuaded his associates to join him in forming the Western Cartridge Company, also located in East Alton, the principal purpose being to provide a market for powder that could be produced by The Equitable Powder Manufacturing Company in the off season.  To that end, Western produced both ammunition as well as blasting caps. Western designed and developed a shotshell-loading machine, purchased a wad manufacturing plant, built a shot tower and invented equipment to manufacture empty shotshells. In 1907 Western bought the Austin Cartridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio, and the National Cartridge Company of Belleville, Illinois, in 1908. Western also developed a method for making stable spheres of powder under water, a safer form of gunpowder patented as Ball Powder that eventually became the industry standard. In 1931, Western Cartridge Company acquired Winchester Repeating Arms Company after Winchester went into receivership.  During World War II, Western produced 15 billion rounds of ammunition. Western is part of the Olin Corporation and is still based in East Alton, Illinois.  See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, pp 145-48)  
 
 
 
 
 

Western 100x8 | WESTERN CARTRIDGE 100 X 8 - WESTERN TRADE MARK, WESTERN CARTRIDGE CO. EAST ALTON, ILL. 100 No. 8 BLASTING CAPS, crimped bottom, painted blue with gilt letters, 2 5/8 x 2 1/8 x 2 ½ high (In May 1892, Franklin W. Olin and his associates incorporated the Equitable Powder Manufacturing Company in New Jersey to manufacture black powder. The first mill, located in East Alton, Illinois, was completed in 1893 and sold its product chiefly to the mines in the area. Because that business was seasonal, Olin became interested in loading shotshells. In February 1898, he persuaded his associates to join him in forming the Western Cartridge Company, also located in East Alton, the principal purpose being to provide a market for powder that could be produced by The Equitable Powder Manufacturing Company in the off season. To that end, Western produced both ammunition as well as blasting caps. Western designed and developed a shotshell-loading machine, purchased a wad manufacturing plant, built a shot tower and invented equipment to manufacture empty shotshells. In 1907 Western bought the Austin Cartridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio, and the National Cartridge Company of Belleville, Illinois, in 1908. Western also developed a method for making stable spheres of powder under water, a safer form of gunpowder patented as Ball Powder that eventually became the industry standard. In 1931, Western Cartridge Company acquired Winchester Repeating Arms Company after Winchester went into receivership. During World War II, Western produced 15 billion rounds of ammunition. Western is part of the Olin Corporation and is still based in East Alton, Illinois. See Van Gelder and Schlatter, History of the Explosives Industry in America, pp 145-48) Download Original Image
Total images: 168 | Last update: 6/11/16 5:22 PM | Help