Up Carbide Cap Lamps Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Victor Cap Brass Bottom.jpg - 1.6MB]
Victor Non Justrite Bottom
Victor Cap Brass LSide
Victor Cap Brass RSide
Victor Cap Brass Back
Victor Cap Brass Top
  Victor Cap Brass Bottom.jpg - VICTOR RIBBED BRASS - Brass ribbed Victor cap lamp with cap braces, marked on top VICTOR TRADEMARK, PAT. 2.1.21, OTHERS PENDING, MADE IN USA, RD 68155, Polygon Feed, Pat 2.2.22  (The Justrite Victor and its sister lamps, the Defender and X-Ray, have distinctive ornamental designs and probably have more markings on the various lamp parts than any other carbide lamp.  After Augie Hansen, chief designer at Justrite, left the company in 1920 to pursue his Drylite and Force Feed lamps, William J. Frisbie took his place at Justrite.  He filed a design patent #57,037 on May 22, 1920 on a new lamp shown here in brass that would be produced by Justrite with the Victor name.  The patent was granted on Feb 1, 1921 and lamps manufactured after that date are marked with this patent date.  Justrite made the Victor lamp prior to the patent award and these earlier lamps are marked with "Patent Appl'd For."  Frisbie filed additional patents for features that were incorporated in the Victor lamps including the polygon water feed, side brace attachment,  reflector brace and improved felt retainer among others.  In April 1922, Justrite introduced a sister lamp that replaced the vertical striping on the lamp body with raised dots calling it the Defender.  Both lamps were available in both brass and nickel-plated brass.  Soon thereafter, Justrite once again retooled their production to market a lamp called the X-Ray, not to be confused by an earlier Justrite lamp named X-Ray that included a square reflector brace.  All three lamps can be found with both vertical striping and dots on the tanks and in both brass and nickel-plated brass.  Except for the markings on top, all three lamps are essentially the same.  One can't help but wonder why Justrite marketed these new brand names at a time when their Justrite trademarked lamps were enjoying popularity and substantial success within the mining community.  See Puhl, Mining Artifact Collector #4, pp 3-10)  
Victor Brass Cap Brace Strap Marking
Victor Brass Reflector Marking
Victor Nickel
Victor Nickel Bottom
Ad for Baldwin Wet Mine Lamp in 1912 Marshall Wells Catalog

Victor Cap Brass Bottom | VICTOR RIBBED BRASS - Brass ribbed Victor cap lamp with cap braces, marked on top VICTOR TRADEMARK, PAT. 2.1.21, OTHERS PENDING, MADE IN USA, RD 68155, Polygon Feed, Pat 2.2.22 (The Justrite Victor and its sister lamps, the Defender and X-Ray, have distinctive ornamental designs and probably have more markings on the various lamp parts than any other carbide lamp. After Augie Hansen, chief designer at Justrite, left the company in 1920 to pursue his Drylite and Force Feed lamps, William J. Frisbie took his place at Justrite. He filed a design patent #57,037 on May 22, 1920 on a new lamp shown here in brass that would be produced by Justrite with the Victor name. The patent was granted on Feb 1, 1921 and lamps manufactured after that date are marked with this patent date. Justrite made the Victor lamp prior to the patent award and these earlier lamps are marked with "Patent Appl'd For." Frisbie filed additional patents for features that were incorporated in the Victor lamps including the polygon water feed, side brace attachment, reflector brace and improved felt retainer among others. In April 1922, Justrite introduced a sister lamp that replaced the vertical striping on the lamp body with raised dots calling it the Defender. Both lamps were available in both brass and nickel-plated brass. Soon thereafter, Justrite once again retooled their production to market a lamp called the X-Ray, not to be confused by an earlier Justrite lamp named X-Ray that included a square reflector brace. All three lamps can be found with both vertical striping and dots on the tanks and in both brass and nickel-plated brass. Except for the markings on top, all three lamps are essentially the same. One can't help but wonder why Justrite marketed these new brand names at a time when their Justrite trademarked lamps were enjoying popularity and substantial success within the mining community. See Puhl, Mining Artifact Collector #4, pp 3-10) Download Original Image
Total images: 706 | Last update: 11/3/14 2:48 PM | Help