Up Carbide Hand Lamps Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Wolf NP Hand Lamp Bottom.JPG - 1.2MB]
Wolf Canister No 856 Crystal Bldg Marking
Wolf Canister No 856 pic1
Wolf Canister No 856 pic2
Wolf Canister No 856 Bottom
Wolf NP Hand Lamp
  Wolf NP Hand Lamp Bottom.JPG - WOLF NP NO. 1000 - New old stock Wolf hand lamp Model No 1000, nickel plated, marked on top WOLF HAND LAMP MADE IN USA, shiny 4-in reflector attached with 2 screws with wing nuts on back, threads between top and base is brass as are the water door and screw-type water feed knob,complete with hook on back and over-the-top handle with hook; ex-Walt Goetz collection  (The first Wolf carbide mine lamps were made about 1903 in Zwickau, Germany by the Friemann and Wolf Co.  The Wolf Safety Lamp Co. of America, doing business at the Crystal Building in New York City, imported Wolf lamps to the U.S. prior to World War I.  After the war, Domingo Anglada purchased the company from the Alien Property Custodian and began manufacturing the first American Wolf lamps in Brooklyn.  In general, lamps with the New York City address were of German manufacture and those with the Brooklyn address are American made.  Anglada filed a patent application on May 5, 1920 for a carbide cap lamp that eventually would be produced and marketed in 1921 as the "New Wolf Lamp" model 911c.  As production continued, Wolf continued to make improvements to the sturdy cap lamp design resulting in five distinct varieties of the lamp.  The lamp was revamped again in 1925 and was advertised as the "New Model 1925" variety of the 911c lamp.  This lamp is characterized by the familiar domed top that remained as a key feature of the lamp for the remainder of Wolf's production.  In addition to the cap lamps, Wolf also manufactured carbide hand lamps such as the one shown here that proved to be popular with the mining community.  In 1937 the Wolf Safety Lamp Co. of America bought out the Dewar Manufacturing Co. and continued business at the Brooklyn location.  These operations continued until 1965 when Anglada sold the company to the Mine Safety Appliances of Pittsburgh, PA.  See Van Fleet, Eureka #2, pp 1-6)  SEE THE ANGLADA PATENT FOR THE WOLF HAND LAMP HANGER IN THE FOLLOWING PIC.  
Anglada Wolf Patent
Wolf Brass Hand Lamp LSide
Wolf Brass Hand Lamp RSide
Wolf Brass Hand Lamp Back
Wolf Brass Hand Lamp Top

Wolf NP Hand Lamp Bottom | WOLF NP NO. 1000 - New old stock Wolf hand lamp Model No 1000, nickel plated, marked on top WOLF HAND LAMP MADE IN USA, shiny 4-in reflector attached with 2 screws with wing nuts on back, threads between top and base is brass as are the water door and screw-type water feed knob, complete with hook on back and over-the-top handle with hook; ex-Walt Goetz collection (The first Wolf carbide mine lamps were made about 1903 in Zwickau, Germany by the Friemann and Wolf Co. The Wolf Safety Lamp Co. of America, doing business at the Crystal Building in New York City, imported Wolf lamps to the U.S. prior to World War I. After the war, Domingo Anglada purchased the company from the Alien Property Custodian and began manufacturing the first American Wolf lamps in Brooklyn. In general, lamps with the New York City address were of German manufacture and those with the Brooklyn address are American made. Anglada filed a patent application on May 5, 1920 for a carbide cap lamp that eventually would be produced and marketed in 1921 as the "New Wolf Lamp" model 911c. As production continued, Wolf continued to make improvements to the sturdy cap lamp design resulting in five distinct varieties of the lamp. The lamp was revamped again in 1925 and was advertised as the "New Model 1925" variety of the 911c lamp. This lamp is characterized by the familiar domed top that remained as a key feature of the lamp for the remainder of Wolf's production. In addition to the cap lamps, Wolf also manufactured carbide hand lamps such as the one shown here that proved to be popular with the mining community. In 1937 the Wolf Safety Lamp Co. of America bought out the Dewar Manufacturing Co. and continued business at the Brooklyn location. These operations continued until 1965 when Anglada sold the company to the Mine Safety Appliances of Pittsburgh, PA. See Van Fleet, Eureka #2, pp 1-6) SEE THE ANGLADA PATENT FOR THE WOLF HAND LAMP HANGER IN THE FOLLOWING PIC. Download Original Image
Total images: 366 | Last update: 3/19/19 5:11 PM | Help