Up Miscellaneous Mining Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Bullard Salesman Sample Hard Boiled Hat Marking.jpg - 1.9MB]
Brunton Pocket Transit
Brunton Pocket Transit Patent I
Brunton Pocket Transit Patent II
Bullard Hard Boiled Hat Ad 1931 Hendrie & Bolthoff Catalog
Bullard Salesman Sample Hard Boiled Hat
  Bullard Salesman Sample Hard Boiled Hat Marking.jpg - BULLARD SALESMAN SAMPLE MINER'S HARD BOILED HAT - Salesman sample of Bullard miner’s Hard Boiled hard hat; miniature example of first miner’s hard helmet and first industrial hard hat; paper label marked HARD-BOILED, BULLARD-DAVIS INCORPORATED, NEW YORKSAN FRANCISCO, complete with stitched trimming all around, leather interior sweat band and net suspension liner with tie string; 6 1/8 long x 4 3/4 wide x 3 in. high; as new condition  (Credit for the invention of the industrial hard hat goes to the E. D. Bullard Company.  Founded in 1898 in San Francisco by Edward Dickinson Bullard, the Bullard Company has been a manufacturer of high-quality personal-protective equipment for over 100 years.  Bullard sold carbide lamps and mining equipment to copper and gold miners in California, Nevada and Arizona at the turn of the century.  At the time, the typical hat worn by the miners was a soft derby similar to a baseball cap with a small hard-leather and shellac brim.  Bullard started development of a protective hat that could protect miners from falling objects.  His son E. W. Bullard returned from WWI with his M1917 Brodie steel helmet that provided the inspiration for the first miners’ hard hat. The Bullard “Hard-Boiled Hat” made of steamed canvas, glue and black paint was introduced in 1919. With the addition of a built in suspension device, the Hard-Boiled Hat became the first commercially-available, industrial head-protection device.  Edward W. Bullard filed a patent application for the miners’ safety hat on May 21, 1928 that was awarded as patent No. 1,776,249 on Sept. 23, 1930.  A second application by Edward W. Bullard covering the internal suspension device was awarded as patent No. 1,770,376 on July 15, 1930.  In 1933 construction began on the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California. This was the first construction site in the U.S. where construction workers were required to wear hard hats while on the job site.  The Bullard Company, now headquartered in Cynthiana, Kentucky, continues in business today.)  
Bullard Hard Boiled Hats
Bullard Full Size Hard Boiled Hat Marking
Bullard Hard Boiled Hat Patent I
Bullard Hard Boiled Hat Patent IIa
Bullard Hard Boiled Hat Patent IIb

Bullard Salesman Sample Hard Boiled Hat Marking | BULLARD SALESMAN SAMPLE MINER'S HARD BOILED HAT - Salesman sample of Bullard miner’s Hard Boiled hard hat; miniature example of first miner’s hard helmet and first industrial hard hat; paper label marked HARD-BOILED, BULLARD-DAVIS INCORPORATED, NEW YORK SAN FRANCISCO, complete with stitched trimming all around, leather interior sweat band and net suspension liner with tie string; 6 1/8 long x 4 3/4 wide x 3 in. high; as new condition (Credit for the invention of the industrial hard hat goes to the E. D. Bullard Company. Founded in 1898 in San Francisco by Edward Dickinson Bullard, the Bullard Company has been a manufacturer of high-quality personal-protective equipment for over 100 years. Bullard sold carbide lamps and mining equipment to copper and gold miners in California, Nevada and Arizona at the turn of the century. At the time, the typical hat worn by the miners was a soft derby similar to a baseball cap with a small hard-leather and shellac brim. Bullard started development of a protective hat that could protect miners from falling objects. His son E. W. Bullard returned from WWI with his M1917 Brodie steel helmet that provided the inspiration for the first miners’ hard hat. The Bullard “Hard-Boiled Hat” made of steamed canvas, glue and black paint was introduced in 1919. With the addition of a built in suspension device, the Hard-Boiled Hat became the first commercially-available, industrial head-protection device. Edward W. Bullard filed a patent application for the miners’ safety hat on May 21, 1928 that was awarded as patent No. 1,776,249 on Sept. 23, 1930. A second application by Edward W. Bullard covering the internal suspension device was awarded as patent No. 1,770,376 on July 15, 1930. In 1933 construction began on the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California. This was the first construction site in the U.S. where construction workers were required to wear hard hats while on the job site. The Bullard Company, now headquartered in Cynthiana, Kentucky, continues in business today.) Download Original Image
Total images: 226 | Last update: 10/31/17 4:34 PM | Help