Up Miscellaneous Mining Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Card Ore Car Swivelled.jpg - 2.0MB]
Butte Letter Opener Marking
Butte Miner Letter Opener Front
Butte Miner Letter Opener Back
Card Ore Car LSide
Card Ore Car RSide
  Card Ore Car Swivelled.jpg - C S CARD ORE CAR - This C. S. Card tagged ore car was recovered from the Graphic-Waldo Mine near Magdalena, New Mexico.  The history of this mine starts during the Civil War when Confederate soldiers from Texas entered New Mexico Territory in 1862 on their way to capture the gold and silver mines of Colorado.  They got as far as Glorieta Pass, northeast of Santa Fe, where they were turned back by Union troops joined by NM and CO volunteers. While camped at Magdalena, NM following the Confederates back to Texas, Union soldier John S. Hutchason traded for some heavy rocks with the locals.  After the war ended, he came back to Magdalena, prospected the area and found the source of the rocks.  He and his partners staked out the Graphic, Kelly and Juanita Mines in 1866.  Mining started immediately for silver within the lead ore and the area became the Magdalena Mining District.  Assays were good averaging 10 troy ounces of silver per ton of ore. Hutchason eventually sold the Graphic Mine in the 1870s and since then it changed ownership many times.  Overall the Graphic-Waldo Mine was in operation from 1866 to 1949.  The upper levels to level 9 were mined exclusively as the Graphic Mine.  In 1906, the Waldo adit was driven to intersect the 9 level and ore was then hauled out of the side of the mountain rather than pulled up to the Graphic portal to ship out.  The 9 level and below is considered the Waldo and all above it as the Graphic.  In 1915, a vertical shaft was sunk, from above the Waldo adit, skirted it, and went down to the 14 level, as mining had gone deeper.  In total, 16 levels were mined before closure.  The swivel/dump ore car came from the Waldo, level 9, and is therefore from the 1906-1949 workings. (History compliments of Phil Kozushko, NM Tech, Socorro, NM)The C. S. Card Iron Works Company of Denver was established in 1892 and was a major supplier of mine haulage and handling equipment.  The car is thought to be standard type model Z-18 with 10 in. wheels and a capacity of 18.3 cu. ft.  The inside dimensions are 44 in. length, 30 in. width and 24 in. deep.  It stands 40 in. above the rail with the bottom constructed of 3/16 in. steel.   
Card Ore Car Wheel
Card Ore Car Marking
Catalpa Mining Co Leadville
Coal and Iron Police Badge Front
Coal and Iron Police Badge Back

Card Ore Car Swivelled | C S CARD ORE CAR - This C. S. Card tagged ore car was recovered from the Graphic-Waldo Mine near Magdalena, New Mexico. The history of this mine starts during the Civil War when Confederate soldiers from Texas entered New Mexico Territory in 1862 on their way to capture the gold and silver mines of Colorado. They got as far as Glorieta Pass, northeast of Santa Fe, where they were turned back by Union troops joined by NM and CO volunteers. While camped at Magdalena, NM following the Confederates back to Texas, Union soldier John S. Hutchason traded for some heavy rocks with the locals. After the war ended, he came back to Magdalena, prospected the area and found the source of the rocks. He and his partners staked out the Graphic, Kelly and Juanita Mines in 1866. Mining started immediately for silver within the lead ore and the area became the Magdalena Mining District. Assays were good averaging 10 troy ounces of silver per ton of ore. Hutchason eventually sold the Graphic Mine in the 1870s and since then it changed ownership many times. Overall the Graphic-Waldo Mine was in operation from 1866 to 1949. The upper levels to level 9 were mined exclusively as the Graphic Mine. In 1906, the Waldo adit was driven to intersect the 9 level and ore was then hauled out of the side of the mountain rather than pulled up to the Graphic portal to ship out. The 9 level and below is considered the Waldo and all above it as the Graphic. In 1915, a vertical shaft was sunk, from above the Waldo adit, skirted it, and went down to the 14 level, as mining had gone deeper. In total, 16 levels were mined before closure. The swivel/dump ore car came from the Waldo, level 9, and is therefore from the 1906-1949 workings. (History compliments of Phil Kozushko, NM Tech, Socorro, NM) The C. S. Card Iron Works Company of Denver was established in 1892 and was a major supplier of mine haulage and handling equipment. The car is thought to be standard type model Z-18 with 10 in. wheels and a capacity of 18.3 cu. ft. The inside dimensions are 44 in. length, 30 in. width and 24 in. deep. It stands 40 in. above the rail with the bottom constructed of 3/16 in. steel. Download Original Image
Total images: 226 | Last update: 10/31/17 4:34 PM | Help