Up Miscellaneous Mining Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [DFC Assay Pouring Mould.jpg - 1.8MB]
Argonaut Mine Bell Sign pic2
AutoLite Lighter LSide
AuitoLite Lighter Front
AutoLite Lighter RSide
Assay Pouring Mould in 1910 DFC Catalogue
  DFC Assay Pouring Mould.jpg - DENVER FIRE CLAY ASSAY POURING MOULD - Cast iron pouring mould, 9 1/8 in. x 10 in., 5 x 5 layout of 25 spherical depressions 1/2 in. deep x 1 5/8 in. dia. for scorification or crucible assays, marked DENVER FIRE CLAY CO at one end and 4615 at other, offered as item #1179 in 1910 DFC catalogue for $1.50.(The Denver Fire Clay Company had its origins in a drugstore owned and operated by Joab Otis Bosworth at 411 Larimer St. in Denver.  The year was 1876 and Bosworth had already began experimenting with fire clay hoping to develop assay products including scorifiers, crucibles and muffles to compete with those being imported from Europe.  The assay business was booming and Bosworth quickly created a product line.  He formed a partnership known as Bosworth, Babcock & Co and began supplying Colorado assayers with a variety of products including chemicals, mining equipment and supplies, and clay crucibles under the name Denver Fire Clay.  In 1878, Bosworth enlisted William Hover, an assayer from Salt Lake City, to become a business partner in the drugstore and Bosworth devoted full time to the fire clay business.  The Denver Fire Clay Co. at 31st and Blake Streets was incorporated in 1880 with a capital stock of $20,000.   Bosworth was elected President, F. M. Case, Secretary, George Snyder, Jr., Assistant Secretary, and A. E. Smith, Plant Foreman.  Much of DFC’s early production was of fire-resistant bricks for the construction of smelters. In 1890, Bosworth was killed in an explosion at the DFC store on Larimer St. and his widow continued the business constructing a new downtown building to house the retail store at 1742 Champa Street.  The company occupied this building in 1895. By 1921, the company had added branch offices in Salt Lake City and New York and in 1927, the retail store on Champa St. was increased in size by adding a third floor.  In 1937, the Denver Fire Clay Building was gutted by fire and the retail store was closed.  The building was then sold to Buerger Brothers.)  
Assay Mould
Assay Button Mould
Assay Pouring Mould
Brunton Pocket Transit Ad 1901 Mines and Minerals
Brunton Pocket Transit

DFC Assay Pouring Mould | DENVER FIRE CLAY ASSAY POURING MOULD - Cast iron pouring mould, 9 1/8 in. x 10 in., 5 x 5 layout of 25 spherical depressions 1/2 in. deep x 1 5/8 in. dia. for scorification or crucible assays, marked DENVER FIRE CLAY CO at one end and 4615 at other, offered as item #1179 in 1910 DFC catalogue for $1.50. (The Denver Fire Clay Company had its origins in a drugstore owned and operated by Joab Otis Bosworth at 411 Larimer St. in Denver. The year was 1876 and Bosworth had already began experimenting with fire clay hoping to develop assay products including scorifiers, crucibles and muffles to compete with those being imported from Europe. The assay business was booming and Bosworth quickly created a product line. He formed a partnership known as Bosworth, Babcock & Co and began supplying Colorado assayers with a variety of products including chemicals, mining equipment and supplies, and clay crucibles under the name Denver Fire Clay. In 1878, Bosworth enlisted William Hover, an assayer from Salt Lake City, to become a business partner in the drugstore and Bosworth devoted full time to the fire clay business. The Denver Fire Clay Co. at 31st and Blake Streets was incorporated in 1880 with a capital stock of $20,000. Bosworth was elected President, F. M. Case, Secretary, George Snyder, Jr., Assistant Secretary, and A. E. Smith, Plant Foreman. Much of DFC’s early production was of fire-resistant bricks for the construction of smelters. In 1890, Bosworth was killed in an explosion at the DFC store on Larimer St. and his widow continued the business constructing a new downtown building to house the retail store at 1742 Champa Street. The company occupied this building in 1895. By 1921, the company had added branch offices in Salt Lake City and New York and in 1927, the retail store on Champa St. was increased in size by adding a third floor. In 1937, the Denver Fire Clay Building was gutted by fire and the retail store was closed. The building was then sold to Buerger Brothers.) Download Original Image
Total images: 218 | Last update: 4/11/14 11:38 AM | Help