Up Miscellaneous Mining Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Hardsocg Miners Canteen Marking.JPG - 1.4MB]
Hardsocg Watch Fob Back
Hardscog Coal Pick
Hardsocg No 31 p48
Hardsocg Miners Canteen
Hardsocg Oil Cadger Belt Loop
  Hardsocg Miners Canteen Marking.JPG - HARDSOCG MINERS' CANTEEN - Copper miners' canteen manufactured by the Hardsocg Mfg. Co., Ottumwa, Iowa; 4 7/8 in. in dia. and 1 pint capacity with belt loop and screw-on spout cap; marked on top in a star shield MADE BY HARDSOCG MFG. CO. OTTUMWA, IA (These containers usually with a belt hook or loop are offered in various early advertisements as an oil cadger, belt oil can, or canteen.  This item was advertised in an undated Hardsocg catalog No. 31 as a miners' canteen and was offered in tin, galvanized iron and copper in various capacities. It is likely in their earliest use that miners carried a supply of oil in the container for refilling their oil wick lamps.  The availability of Standard Oil’s hardened Sunshine fuel in the 1890s likely made the carrying of liquid oil fuel and the problems with leakage from the lamps and danger to the miners less necessary.  Later use possibly included the carrying of water or other liquids underground. This container includes a screw-on cap lined with a cork seal to control any leakage. The copper variety of these containers are quite rare, likely due to the fact that the initial price of the copper was more than twice the cost of the more common tin.  The canteen shown is one of two known Hardsocg copper containers known in collections.  As for the maker, the Hardsocg Manufacturing Co. was an icon of early mining equipment manufacturers.  At one time, Hardsocg was the largest single manufacturer of mining tools and supplies in the world. It's almost impossible to collect mining artifacts and not have something in your collection by Hardsocg. After years of blacksmithing and working in the coal mines of Iowa, in 1878 Martin Hardsocg started his company in Avery, IA to manufacture mining tools. In 1885, he moved the company to Ottumwa, IA and in 1891, the Hardsocg Manufacturing Co. was incorporated with him as president. Within a few years the company had dramatically expanded and owned and operated other companies specializing in mining equipment. In 1947, the Hardsocg Manufacturing Co. and all its holdings were sold to Cardox Co. of Chicago which continued to operate until 1969 when the company ceased operations.)  
Hardsocg Miners Canteen Top
Hendrie & Bolthoff Ad from the July 26, 1907 Edition of Mines and Mining
Hendrie & Bolthoff Ore Car Tag
Hercules Match Safe Front
Hercules Match Safe Back

Hardsocg Miners Canteen Marking | HARDSOCG MINERS' CANTEEN - Copper miners' canteen manufactured by the Hardsocg Mfg. Co., Ottumwa, Iowa; 4 7/8 in. in dia. and 1 pint capacity with belt loop and screw-on spout cap; marked on top in a star shield MADE BY HARDSOCG MFG. CO. OTTUMWA, IA (These containers usually with a belt hook or loop are offered in various early advertisements as an oil cadger, belt oil can, or canteen. This item was advertised in an undated Hardsocg catalog No. 31 as a miners' canteen and was offered in tin, galvanized iron and copper in various capacities. It is likely in their earliest use that miners carried a supply of oil in the container for refilling their oil wick lamps. The availability of Standard Oil’s hardened Sunshine fuel in the 1890s likely made the carrying of liquid oil fuel and the problems with leakage from the lamps and danger to the miners less necessary. Later use possibly included the carrying of water or other liquids underground. This container includes a screw-on cap lined with a cork seal to control any leakage. The copper variety of these containers are quite rare, likely due to the fact that the initial price of the copper was more than twice the cost of the more common tin. The canteen shown is one of two known Hardsocg copper containers known in collections. As for the maker, the Hardsocg Manufacturing Co. was an icon of early mining equipment manufacturers. At one time, Hardsocg was the largest single manufacturer of mining tools and supplies in the world. It's almost impossible to collect mining artifacts and not have something in your collection by Hardsocg. After years of blacksmithing and working in the coal mines of Iowa, in 1878 Martin Hardsocg started his company in Avery, IA to manufacture mining tools. In 1885, he moved the company to Ottumwa, IA and in 1891, the Hardsocg Manufacturing Co. was incorporated with him as president. Within a few years the company had dramatically expanded and owned and operated other companies specializing in mining equipment. In 1947, the Hardsocg Manufacturing Co. and all its holdings were sold to Cardox Co. of Chicago which continued to operate until 1969 when the company ceased operations.) Download Original Image
Total images: 226 | Last update: 10/31/17 4:34 PM | Help