Up Miscellaneous Mining Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Lietz Universal Pocket Instrument.JPG - 1.3MB]
Justrite Pocket Lighter
Justrite Pocket Lighter II
Justrite Pocket Lighter Top Marking
Justrite Pocket Lighter Bottom Marking
Lietz Universal Pocket Instrument with Leather Case
  Lietz Universal Pocket Instrument.JPG - ATTWOOD'S MINING CLINOMETER - Universal Pocket Instrument advertised by A. Lietz Co. in the company’s 1899 catalog; marked M. ATTWOOD’S MINING CLINOMETER, MADE BY A. LIETZ CO., SURVEYING INSTRUMENT MAKERS, 422 SACRAMENTO ST. SAN FRANCISCO, with a list of FALL OF ANGLES; made of aluminum alloy with horizontal and vertical bubble levels; 6 3/8 in. long x 3 in. high x 7/16 in. thick; clinometer and compass dials 2 1/4 in. dia. with locking controls  (While google turned up very little on M. Attwood, the following provides information on the maker Adolph Lietz.  Adolph Lietz was born in Leubeck, Germany in 1860. He immigrated to San Francisco in 1879 and worked in several scientific instrument shops before opening his own business. Lietz purchased the business of Carl Rahsskopff in 1880 and began his own business in 1882.  Lietz originally joint ventured with another maker, Gottlieb A. Mauerhan, to form Lietz and Mauerhan, a relationship that lasted for about a year.  Following Mauerhan's departure, Lietz paired up with Conrad J. Weinmann who had previously worked for Carl Rahsskopff.  The company was renamed A. Lietz & Co. and at that time produced surveying instruments and related tools.   The firm incorporated in 1892 under the name The A. Lietz Company and Weinmann left at about that time.   In 1910 a complete line of drafting materials and engineering equipment was added. In 1947, after 65 years of production, the firm discontinued the manufacturing of surveying instruments. The reason given was that it would be necessary and very costly to retool in order to manufacture the types of modern instruments then being marketed. Their business changed to being an importer and distributor. In 1960 the company started handling the Umeco brand of surveying instruments and then added instruments from Japan made by Sokkisha. The Frank Paxton Company purchased the business in 1965 and moved its headquarters to Kansas City, Missouri.  The company name was also changed to The Lietz Company.  Additional restructuring took place during the early 1990's and the firm name was again changed, this time to Sokkia.  
1899 Lietz Catalog Listing for Universal Pocket Instrument
Lorain Coal Promotional Lighter
Lowne's Air Meter
Lowne's Air Meter with Box
Mine & Smelter Supply Co Catalog No. 22 1912

Lietz Universal Pocket Instrument | ATTWOOD'S MINING CLINOMETER - Universal Pocket Instrument advertised by A. Lietz Co. in the company’s 1899 catalog; marked M. ATTWOOD’S MINING CLINOMETER, MADE BY A. LIETZ CO., SURVEYING INSTRUMENT MAKERS, 422 SACRAMENTO ST. SAN FRANCISCO, with a list of FALL OF ANGLES; made of aluminum alloy with horizontal and vertical bubble levels; 6 3/8 in. long x 3 in. high x 7/16 in. thick; clinometer and compass dials 2 1/4 in. dia. with locking controls (While google turned up very little on M. Attwood, the following provides information on the maker Adolph Lietz. Adolph Lietz was born in Leubeck, Germany in 1860. He immigrated to San Francisco in 1879 and worked in several scientific instrument shops before opening his own business. Lietz purchased the business of Carl Rahsskopff in 1880 and began his own business in 1882. Lietz originally joint ventured with another maker, Gottlieb A. Mauerhan, to form Lietz and Mauerhan, a relationship that lasted for about a year. Following Mauerhan's departure, Lietz paired up with Conrad J. Weinmann who had previously worked for Carl Rahsskopff. The company was renamed A. Lietz & Co. and at that time produced surveying instruments and related tools. The firm incorporated in 1892 under the name The A. Lietz Company and Weinmann left at about that time. In 1910 a complete line of drafting materials and engineering equipment was added. In 1947, after 65 years of production, the firm discontinued the manufacturing of surveying instruments. The reason given was that it would be necessary and very costly to retool in order to manufacture the types of modern instruments then being marketed. Their business changed to being an importer and distributor. In 1960 the company started handling the Umeco brand of surveying instruments and then added instruments from Japan made by Sokkisha. The Frank Paxton Company purchased the business in 1965 and moved its headquarters to Kansas City, Missouri. The company name was also changed to The Lietz Company. Additional restructuring took place during the early 1990's and the firm name was again changed, this time to Sokkia. Download Original Image
Total images: 186 | Last update: 7/5/14 6:18 PM | Help