Up Miscellaneous Mining Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Queen & Co. Anemometer Dial.jpg - 1.8MB]
PM Knife Open
PM Knife Reverse
Pocahontas Coal Corporate Seal
Portable Assay Kit
Queen & Co. Anemometer Front
  Queen & Co. Anemometer Dial.jpg - QUEEN & COMPANY ANEMOMETER -  An original Queen & Co. mining anemometer with leather case, brass shell of the instrument is marked EVERHART BRASS WORKS, SCRANTON, PA and measures 4 1/4 in. diameter and 1 3/4 in. width, one large dial and three small dials, marked on dial QUEEN & CO. PHILA and No. 1314, ca.1897-1912 (This is the only mining anemometer with both Queen and Everhart markings I have ever seen.  Both companies have long and storied histories supplying the mining world. The James W. Queen Co. of Philadelphia was a premier maker of scientific instruments during the mid to latter part of the 19th century. The best known products manufactured by Queen are the highly-sought after microscopes and transits which were sold worldwide. Queen also supplied anemometers, thermometers, aneroid barometers and drawing instruments among a large variety of other scientific products.  James W. Queen was born to Irish immigrant parents in Philadelphia, PA in 1811. In his early teens, he apprenticed under John McAllister who was the leading scientific instrument dealer in Philadelphia at the time. By 1836 he joined McAllister as a partner in the firm. He remained so till he went into business for himself in 1853 advertising his business as optician, importer and dealer in optical, mathematical and philosophical instruments. In 1859 he partnered with Samuel Fox and named the new business James W. Queen & Company. James Queen retired from the business in 1870 and died on July 14, 1890. Fox continued the business taking on new partners and by 1877, he had expanded the company into a department store of quality scientific instruments. Items from this period are marked J. (or Jas.) W. Queen and Co. The signature Queen and Co. as shown on this anemometer began to appear on company products after the company’s incorporation and name change in 1893.  The company continued in business until 1912 at which time it was reorganized as the Queen-Gray Co. by John G. Gray and continued as such until Gray's death in 1925.  Following Gray's death, it was renamed the Gray Instrument Co.  The Scranton Brass and File Works was founded in 1853 by John McLaren. The company was a manufacturer of brass work for water, gas and steam as well as Carr and Wilson’s patent cut files. Originally located in Pittston, PA, the company was moved to Scranton in 1865. In 1871, James M. Everhart purchased a half-interest in the firm and the company continued as McLaren and Everhart. McLaren died in 1873 and Everhart became the sole proprietor of the Scranton Brass Works. Dr. Isaiah Fawkes Everhart, James’s brother, became an active investor in the company and served for a time as president of the company. An ad in the 1907 Coal Field Directory lists a number of products for the company including anemometers and safety lamps for the mining industry. James Everhart died in May 1897 at the age of 69. After his death, the company’s name was changed to the Everhart Brass Works. Dr. Isaiah Everhart continued his interests in the company and in 1907, he gifted a museum to the city of Scranton that opened in 1908 as the Everhart Museum of Natural History, Science and Art. The museum today is the largest general museum in Northeastern Pennsylvania. He died in May 1911. The Everhart Brass Works continued in business until the early 1940s.)  
Queen & Co. Anemometer with Everhart Marking
Queen & Co. Anemometer
Shanklin Cigarette Case pic1
Shanklin Cigarette Case pic2
Simmons Hardware Fob Front

Queen & Co. Anemometer Dial | QUEEN & COMPANY ANEMOMETER - An original Queen & Co. mining anemometer with leather case, brass shell of the instrument is marked EVERHART BRASS WORKS, SCRANTON, PA and measures 4 1/4 in. diameter and 1 3/4 in. width, one large dial and three small dials, marked on dial QUEEN & CO. PHILA and No. 1314, ca.1897-1912 (This is the only mining anemometer with both Queen and Everhart markings I have ever seen. Both companies have long and storied histories supplying the mining world. The James W. Queen Co. of Philadelphia was a premier maker of scientific instruments during the mid to latter part of the 19th century. The best known products manufactured by Queen are the highly-sought after microscopes and transits which were sold worldwide. Queen also supplied anemometers, thermometers, aneroid barometers and drawing instruments among a large variety of other scientific products. James W. Queen was born to Irish immigrant parents in Philadelphia, PA in 1811. In his early teens, he apprenticed under John McAllister who was the leading scientific instrument dealer in Philadelphia at the time. By 1836 he joined McAllister as a partner in the firm. He remained so till he went into business for himself in 1853 advertising his business as optician, importer and dealer in optical, mathematical and philosophical instruments. In 1859 he partnered with Samuel Fox and named the new business James W. Queen & Company. James Queen retired from the business in 1870 and died on July 14, 1890. Fox continued the business taking on new partners and by 1877, he had expanded the company into a department store of quality scientific instruments. Items from this period are marked J. (or Jas.) W. Queen and Co. The signature Queen and Co. as shown on this anemometer began to appear on company products after the company’s incorporation and name change in 1893. The company continued in business until 1912 at which time it was reorganized as the Queen-Gray Co. by John G. Gray and continued as such until Gray's death in 1925. Following Gray's death, it was renamed the Gray Instrument Co. The Scranton Brass and File Works was founded in 1853 by John McLaren. The company was a manufacturer of brass work for water, gas and steam as well as Carr and Wilson’s patent cut files. Originally located in Pittston, PA, the company was moved to Scranton in 1865. In 1871, James M. Everhart purchased a half-interest in the firm and the company continued as McLaren and Everhart. McLaren died in 1873 and Everhart became the sole proprietor of the Scranton Brass Works. Dr. Isaiah Fawkes Everhart, James’s brother, became an active investor in the company and served for a time as president of the company. An ad in the 1907 Coal Field Directory lists a number of products for the company including anemometers and safety lamps for the mining industry. James Everhart died in May 1897 at the age of 69. After his death, the company’s name was changed to the Everhart Brass Works. Dr. Isaiah Everhart continued his interests in the company and in 1907, he gifted a museum to the city of Scranton that opened in 1908 as the Everhart Museum of Natural History, Science and Art. The museum today is the largest general museum in Northeastern Pennsylvania. He died in May 1911. The Everhart Brass Works continued in business until the early 1940s.) Download Original Image
Total images: 226 | Last update: 10/31/17 4:34 PM | Help