Up Miscellaneous Mining Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Susquehanna C & I Badge Back.JPG - 1.8MB]
Card Ore Car RSide
Card Ore Car Swivelled
Card Ore Car Wheel
Card Ore Car Marking
Susquehanna C & I Badge Front
  Susquehanna C & I Badge Back.JPG - COAL & IRON POLICE BADGE SUSQUEHANNA COAL – Coal and iron police badge with Susquehanna Coal Co marked in belted circle around Pennsylvania state seal centered on badge; 2 5/8 in. tall by 1 3/4 in. wide; marked on top with Coal Iron and at bottom with Police and number 5, working clasp on back,  Susquehanna Coal Company’s private police force,  part of the industrial police forces known as Coal & Iron Police which were legal in Pennsylvania from 1865 to 1931.  Badge dates from prior to 1917, at which time Susquehanna Coal was purchased by Susquehanna Collieries Company.  COAL & IRON POLICE - In 1865, the Pennsylvania State Legislature passed State Act 228 which empowered the railroads to organize private police forces. In 1866, a supplement to the act was passed extending the privilege to "embrace all corporations, firms, or individuals, owning, leasing, or being in possession of any colliery, furnace, or rolling mill within this commonwealth." The men of the private police forces were called "Coal and Iron Police" and received commissions from the state although their salaries were paid by the various coal companies for whom they worked. Although they were hired to protect the property of their respective coal companies and the homes of coal company officials, they were used to intimidate and break up striking mine workers, and if necessary, evict them and their families from their homes. In some communities the coal and iron police were accused of assault, kidnapping, rape, and murder. A total of over 7,632 commissions were given for the Coal and Iron Police. On June 30, 1931, Governor Pinchot revoked all coal and iron police commissions, thus ending a 66-year period of sad mining history in the state of Pennsylvania.  SUSQUEHANNA COAL COMPANY - The Susquehanna Coal Company was one of six companies that dominated coal production in the Northern Anthracite Field of Pennsylvania during the later nineteenth century and early twentieth century. Other mining companies that conducted major operations here included the Hudson Coal Co.; Lehigh Valley Coal Co.; the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Coal Mining Co.; the Pennsylvania Coal Co.; and the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company.  The Susquehanna Coal Company was incorporated in April 1867, as the Pittston Railroad and Coal Company. Its name was changed to the Susquehanna Coal Company in February 1869. The company controlled 5,823 acres of coal lands on both sides of the Susquehanna River at Nanticoke Dam. Much of its stock was owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Pennsylvania Canal Company.  In 1913, the Pennsylvania Railroad disposed of its holdings in anthracite coal companies, including the Susquehanna Coal Company. In 1917, the Susquehanna Coal Company, whose capital stock was still owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad, disposed of its mining properties to the Susquehanna Collieries Company, and discontinued mining and selling coal. The M. A. Hanna Co. interests of Cleveland, Ohio along with its affiliate, the Lytle Coal Co., organized the Susquehanna Collieries Company in 1917.   Mines of the Susquehanna Coal Company were located in Luzerne County such as Glen Lyon and Northumberland County, in the Shamokin area. These included the Cameron, Luke Fidler, Hickory Ridge, Hickory Swamp, Pennsylvania, Richards, and Scott Collieries. The Cameron Colliery in Shamokin was one of the most famous mines in the Western Middle Coal Field. The Scott Colliery was located in nearby Kulpmont, after Isaac Tomlinson discovered coal in the area.  A few tragedies occurred in some of the mines. At the Cameron Colliery, in February 1890, a massive fire broke out, supposedly ignited by a miner's lamp. Over twenty mules were lost. At the Luke Fidler Colliery, two different tragedies occurred. In October 1894, a carpenter carried a lamp into the mine and set off an explosion, resulting in the death of five people. Approximately eight years later, in November 1902, a gas explosion killed four more workers at the colliery, which employed about 1,000 men at the time. At the time of the 1894 tragedy, the Hickory Ridge Colliery, which was connected to Luke Fidler, employed approximately 1,000 men. Both Hickory Ridge and Luke Fidler had to close operations for many months as a result of the explosion. Labor unrest affected the Richards and Pennsylvania Collieries. In September 1902, striking workers attacked a train carrying non-unionists who were headed to the two collieries. The sheriff of Northumberland County asked Pennsylvania Governor William A. Stone for assistance. The governor ordered troops of the Fourth Regiment to be sent to the region. But it was at the Hickory Swamp Colliery where turmoil was truly made manifest. On December 18, 1874, Frederick Hesser, the night watchman at Hickory Swamp, left his home in Coal Township, never to return. He was found the following morning bludgeoned to death. The supposed perpetrators of the murder were two Molly Maguires, Peter McManus and John O'Neill. McManus was ultimately hanged for the crime.  
Glen Lyon Breaker Susquehanna Coal Co 1890s Photo
Coal and Iron Police Badge Front
Coal and Iron Police Badge Back
Woodward_Breaker_1900
L&WB Badge Front

Susquehanna C & I Badge Back | COAL & IRON POLICE BADGE SUSQUEHANNA COAL – Coal and iron police badge with Susquehanna Coal Co marked in belted circle around Pennsylvania state seal centered on badge; 2 5/8 in. tall by 1 3/4 in. wide; marked on top with Coal Iron and at bottom with Police and number 5, working clasp on back, Susquehanna Coal Company’s private police force, part of the industrial police forces known as Coal & Iron Police which were legal in Pennsylvania from 1865 to 1931. Badge dates from prior to 1917, at which time Susquehanna Coal was purchased by Susquehanna Collieries Company. COAL & IRON POLICE - In 1865, the Pennsylvania State Legislature passed State Act 228 which empowered the railroads to organize private police forces. In 1866, a supplement to the act was passed extending the privilege to "embrace all corporations, firms, or individuals, owning, leasing, or being in possession of any colliery, furnace, or rolling mill within this commonwealth." The men of the private police forces were called "Coal and Iron Police" and received commissions from the state although their salaries were paid by the various coal companies for whom they worked. Although they were hired to protect the property of their respective coal companies and the homes of coal company officials, they were used to intimidate and break up striking mine workers, and if necessary, evict them and their families from their homes. In some communities the coal and iron police were accused of assault, kidnapping, rape, and murder. A total of over 7,632 commissions were given for the Coal and Iron Police. On June 30, 1931, Governor Pinchot revoked all coal and iron police commissions, thus ending a 66-year period of sad mining history in the state of Pennsylvania. SUSQUEHANNA COAL COMPANY - The Susquehanna Coal Company was one of six companies that dominated coal production in the Northern Anthracite Field of Pennsylvania during the later nineteenth century and early twentieth century. Other mining companies that conducted major operations here included the Hudson Coal Co.; Lehigh Valley Coal Co.; the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Coal Mining Co.; the Pennsylvania Coal Co.; and the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company. The Susquehanna Coal Company was incorporated in April 1867, as the Pittston Railroad and Coal Company. Its name was changed to the Susquehanna Coal Company in February 1869. The company controlled 5,823 acres of coal lands on both sides of the Susquehanna River at Nanticoke Dam. Much of its stock was owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Pennsylvania Canal Company. In 1913, the Pennsylvania Railroad disposed of its holdings in anthracite coal companies, including the Susquehanna Coal Company. In 1917, the Susquehanna Coal Company, whose capital stock was still owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad, disposed of its mining properties to the Susquehanna Collieries Company, and discontinued mining and selling coal. The M. A. Hanna Co. interests of Cleveland, Ohio along with its affiliate, the Lytle Coal Co., organized the Susquehanna Collieries Company in 1917. Mines of the Susquehanna Coal Company were located in Luzerne County such as Glen Lyon and Northumberland County, in the Shamokin area. These included the Cameron, Luke Fidler, Hickory Ridge, Hickory Swamp, Pennsylvania, Richards, and Scott Collieries. The Cameron Colliery in Shamokin was one of the most famous mines in the Western Middle Coal Field. The Scott Colliery was located in nearby Kulpmont, after Isaac Tomlinson discovered coal in the area. A few tragedies occurred in some of the mines. At the Cameron Colliery, in February 1890, a massive fire broke out, supposedly ignited by a miner's lamp. Over twenty mules were lost. At the Luke Fidler Colliery, two different tragedies occurred. In October 1894, a carpenter carried a lamp into the mine and set off an explosion, resulting in the death of five people. Approximately eight years later, in November 1902, a gas explosion killed four more workers at the colliery, which employed about 1,000 men at the time. At the time of the 1894 tragedy, the Hickory Ridge Colliery, which was connected to Luke Fidler, employed approximately 1,000 men. Both Hickory Ridge and Luke Fidler had to close operations for many months as a result of the explosion. Labor unrest affected the Richards and Pennsylvania Collieries. In September 1902, striking workers attacked a train carrying non-unionists who were headed to the two collieries. The sheriff of Northumberland County asked Pennsylvania Governor William A. Stone for assistance. The governor ordered troops of the Fourth Regiment to be sent to the region. But it was at the Hickory Swamp Colliery where turmoil was truly made manifest. On December 18, 1874, Frederick Hesser, the night watchman at Hickory Swamp, left his home in Coal Township, never to return. He was found the following morning bludgeoned to death. The supposed perpetrators of the murder were two Molly Maguires, Peter McManus and John O'Neill. McManus was ultimately hanged for the crime. Download Original Image
Total images: 247 | Last update: 1/19/21 2:35 PM | Help