Up Oilwick Lamps Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Bertels.JPG - 757kB]
Beall Bros Star Copper RSide
Beall Bros Star Copper LSide
Beall Bros Star Copper Marking
Bertel
Bertel Marking
  Bertels.JPG - W.B. BERTELS WILKES-BARRE, PA I - Tin face lamp, 3 in. tall to tip of spout, lightly marked on font W.B. BERTELS WILKES-BARRE, PA, brass collar, unfired condition  (William B. Bertels was born March 16, 1834 in Quakertown, PA.  He was trained as a tinsmith and in 1857 he married Susan A. Edwards.  Their marriage produced 7 children, 4 sons and 3 daughters.  Sometime in the early 1870s, W. B. Bertels started a tinware business at Market and Canal Streets in Wilkes-Barre, PA.  By 1890, William’s oldest son Charles E. Bertels who was born in 1867 joined William and Hayden U. Merithew as partners in the business of W. B. Bertels Son and Company.  By 1905 the company was incorporated as W. B. Bertels and Son Inc. and was located at 415 N. Pennsylvania Ave. in Wilkes-Barre. The company continued to expand its business in tinware and stamped metal ware and by 1920, the Pennsylvania Industrial Directory lists the company at 421 N. Pennsylvania Ave. with 228 employees.  Although the 1920 census still lists William, now 85 years old, as living in Wilkes-Barre with his second wife, it appears he died shortly thereafter.  Various hardware publications still show advertisements featuring the Black Diamond brand for W. B. Bertels and Son Co. Inc. into the early 1920s. Beyond that, little is known about the continuation of the company.  At least 4 markings are known on Bertels oil wick lamps.  The earliest shows W. B. Bertels stamped diagonally down the font and are likely from the 1870s.  A later marking as shown here, probably from the 1880s, shows W. B. Bertels Wilkes-Barre PA. in a circular pattern stamped on the font.  After 1890, another marking also in a circular pattern on the font shows W. B. Bertels Son & Co Wilkes-Barre PA.  The last known marking time wise shows the Bertels Co. stamping inside a diamond-shaped logo for the Black Diamond Mine Lamp branding. A number of different Bertels model lamps are known, some all tin and others tin with brass shoulder/collars, some with a spout shield and some without, some with long spouts and others with short spouts and at least one configuration with a high spout location.  Have fun searching.)  
Bertels II
Bertels Marking
W B Bertels Son & Co RSide
W B Bertels Son & Co LSide
W B Bertels Son & Co Marking

Bertels | W.B. BERTELS WILKES-BARRE, PA I - Tin face lamp, 3 in. tall to tip of spout, lightly marked on font W.B. BERTELS WILKES-BARRE, PA, brass collar, unfired condition (William B. Bertels was born March 16, 1834 in Quakertown, PA. He was trained as a tinsmith and in 1857 he married Susan A. Edwards. Their marriage produced 7 children, 4 sons and 3 daughters. Sometime in the early 1870s, W. B. Bertels started a tinware business at Market and Canal Streets in Wilkes-Barre, PA. By 1890, William’s oldest son Charles E. Bertels who was born in 1867 joined William and Hayden U. Merithew as partners in the business of W. B. Bertels Son and Company. By 1905 the company was incorporated as W. B. Bertels and Son Inc. and was located at 415 N. Pennsylvania Ave. in Wilkes-Barre. The company continued to expand its business in tinware and stamped metal ware and by 1920, the Pennsylvania Industrial Directory lists the company at 421 N. Pennsylvania Ave. with 228 employees. Although the 1920 census still lists William, now 85 years old, as living in Wilkes-Barre with his second wife, it appears he died shortly thereafter. Various hardware publications still show advertisements featuring the Black Diamond brand for W. B. Bertels and Son Co. Inc. into the early 1920s. Beyond that, little is known about the continuation of the company. At least 4 markings are known on Bertels oil wick lamps. The earliest shows W. B. Bertels stamped diagonally down the font and are likely from the 1870s. A later marking as shown here, probably from the 1880s, shows W. B. Bertels Wilkes-Barre PA. in a circular pattern stamped on the font. After 1890, another marking also in a circular pattern on the font shows W. B. Bertels Son & Co Wilkes-Barre PA. The last known marking time wise shows the Bertels Co. stamping inside a diamond-shaped logo for the Black Diamond Mine Lamp branding. A number of different Bertels model lamps are known, some all tin and others tin with brass shoulder/collars, some with a spout shield and some without, some with long spouts and others with short spouts and at least one configuration with a high spout location. Have fun searching.) Download Original Image
Total images: 714 | Last update: 8/7/16 2:45 PM | Help