Up Oilwick Lamps Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Bishop Marking.JPG - 2.0MB]
W B Bertels Son & Co LSide
W B Bertels Son & Co Marking
W B Bertels and Son Co Ad in July 1922 Hardware News
Bishop RSide
Bishop LSide
  Bishop Marking.JPG - WM. F. BISHOP - Tin drivers lamp with rare marking, marked on font Wm F. BISHOP MAKER ARCHBALD, PA, 3 in. tall to top of lid, 2 in. base dia., brass collar with shroud around spout/font interface and unusual boot kick, ex-Al Grazevich collection [The Bishop family was a long-time operator of a hardware business in Archbald, PA during the latter part of the 19th century and into the start of the 20th century.  William F. Bishop’s grandfather (William Bishop) immigrated to the US from Germany in 1850 and settled in what is now Archbald, approximately 10 miles northeast of Scranton, where he stayed till his death in 1865.  The settlement at the time was known as White Oak Run, established in 1845, which later in 1877 was incorporated as the borough of Archbald.  William Bishop and his wife Maria brought with them their two sons who were born in Germany.  George, born in 1844, married Louise Neil and had five children. Justus, the younger son, was born in 1847.  He married Dorothea Niemeyer and had six children including two sons, William F. Bishop (born 1871) and George H. Bishop (born 1878).  Justus joined his brother George in a partnership around 1870 in the tinware business.  Oilwick lamps with the equally rare Bishop Brothers marking are likely from this period of their business.  They opened a hardware business on Main Street in Archbald which became successful and after a short period of time they opened a second store in nearby Carbondale, some 5 miles northeast of Archbald.  This partnership was continued until 1884, in which year it was dissolved by mutual consent, George taking the store in Carbondale, and Justus the one in Archbald.  George died in 1898 and little is known about the disposition of the Carbondale store.  Justus’s son, William F. Bishop, was trained as a tinsmith by his father and eventually took over the Archbald hardware business from his father who became the superintendent of the Archbald Water Company for eight years before his death.  That would likely place the manufacture date for the William F. Bishop Maker wick lamps in the 1890s.  Justus died in 1908 and the 1910 census shows William F. Bishop as a hardware proprietor living with his wife Elizabeth and their four children in Archbald. However by 1915 a history of Archbald notes that the William Bishop hardware store on Main Street Archbald is no longer there.  Additional information shows William F. as a machinist for local coal companies and by 1940 he is managing a gas station in Archbald.  William F. died in 1954 and is buried in Archbald.]  
Bishop Boot Kick
Bluefield Hardware LSide
Bluefield Hardware RSide
Bluefield Hardware RSide Open
Bluefield Hardware Martking

Bishop Marking | WM. F. BISHOP - Tin drivers lamp with rare marking, marked on font Wm F. BISHOP MAKER ARCHBALD, PA, 3 in. tall to top of lid, 2 in. base dia., brass collar with shroud around spout/font interface and unusual boot kick, ex-Al Grazevich collection [The Bishop family was a long-time operator of a hardware business in Archbald, PA during the latter part of the 19th century and into the start of the 20th century. William F. Bishop’s grandfather (William Bishop) immigrated to the US from Germany in 1850 and settled in what is now Archbald, approximately 10 miles northeast of Scranton, where he stayed till his death in 1865. The settlement at the time was known as White Oak Run, established in 1845, which later in 1877 was incorporated as the borough of Archbald. William Bishop and his wife Maria brought with them their two sons who were born in Germany. George, born in 1844, married Louise Neil and had five children. Justus, the younger son, was born in 1847. He married Dorothea Niemeyer and had six children including two sons, William F. Bishop (born 1871) and George H. Bishop (born 1878). Justus joined his brother George in a partnership around 1870 in the tinware business. Oilwick lamps with the equally rare Bishop Brothers marking are likely from this period of their business. They opened a hardware business on Main Street in Archbald which became successful and after a short period of time they opened a second store in nearby Carbondale, some 5 miles northeast of Archbald. This partnership was continued until 1884, in which year it was dissolved by mutual consent, George taking the store in Carbondale, and Justus the one in Archbald. George died in 1898 and little is known about the disposition of the Carbondale store. Justus’s son, William F. Bishop, was trained as a tinsmith by his father and eventually took over the Archbald hardware business from his father who became the superintendent of the Archbald Water Company for eight years before his death. That would likely place the manufacture date for the William F. Bishop Maker wick lamps in the 1890s. Justus died in 1908 and the 1910 census shows William F. Bishop as a hardware proprietor living with his wife Elizabeth and their four children in Archbald. However by 1915 a history of Archbald notes that the William Bishop hardware store on Main Street Archbald is no longer there. Additional information shows William F. as a machinist for local coal companies and by 1940 he is managing a gas station in Archbald. William F. died in 1954 and is buried in Archbald.] Download Original Image
Total images: 714 | Last update: 8/7/16 2:45 PM | Help