Up Other Carbide Items Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [W V & B Flask.JPG - 738kB]
Union Carbide Booklet
Union Carbide Flask Front
Union Carbide Flask Back
Union Carbide Flask Trethaway Bros. Marking
Union Carbide Flask Directions
  W V & B Flask.JPG - W V & B COPPER FLASK - Unusual miners carbide pocket flask, 4 in. tall, top portion and lid made of brass and bottom portion made of copper, lid marked with imprint W V & B label, the marking stands for W V & B and the flask was manufactured in the very early 1900s by W V & B Metalcraft of New York which stands for William Vogel & Brothers.  It is thought that the very early Baldwin lamps were actually manufactured by W V & B for Baldwin. It appears to be a carbide flask, an early accessory for the Baldwin lamps perhaps.  See MAC issue #3, pp 4-5 and Thorpe’s book p 22 [William Vogel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1839.  After public schooling and work as a roofer, he joined his brother Henry to start a business manufacturing tinware in 1863.  By 1883 the business was so successful that William Vogel and Brothers built a five story factory building that extended from 37 to 47 South Ninth Street and 433 to 435 Kent Avenue in Brooklyn.  The company’s business involved all types of stamped metal including copper, brass, steel and aluminum.  Tin cans and tin screw top lids were specialties of the business.  William Vogel died in 1898.  His son William H. Vogel along with his son’s uncles Henry J. Vogel and Louis H. Vogel continued to run the business.  By 1920, the company was involved with metal work for automobiles.]   
William Vogel & Bros. 1898
 
 
 
 

W V & B Flask | W V & B COPPER FLASK - Unusual miners carbide pocket flask, 4 in. tall, top portion and lid made of brass and bottom portion made of copper, lid marked with imprint W V & B label, the marking stands for W V & B and the flask was manufactured in the very early 1900s by W V & B Metalcraft of New York which stands for William Vogel & Brothers. It is thought that the very early Baldwin lamps were actually manufactured by W V & B for Baldwin. It appears to be a carbide flask, an early accessory for the Baldwin lamps perhaps. See MAC issue #3, pp 4-5 and Thorpe’s book p 22 [William Vogel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1839. After public schooling and work as a roofer, he joined his brother Henry to start a business manufacturing tinware in 1863. By 1883 the business was so successful that William Vogel and Brothers built a five story factory building that extended from 37 to 47 South Ninth Street and 433 to 435 Kent Avenue in Brooklyn. The company’s business involved all types of stamped metal including copper, brass, steel and aluminum. Tin cans and tin screw top lids were specialties of the business. William Vogel died in 1898. His son William H. Vogel along with his son’s uncles Henry J. Vogel and Louis H. Vogel continued to run the business. By 1920, the company was involved with metal work for automobiles.] Download Original Image
Total images: 110 | Last update: 2/7/17 2:13 PM | Help