Up Safety Lamps Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [American Safety Bonneted Clanny Side.JPG - 510kB]
Beard Mackie Indicator
Beard-Mackie Patent
American Safety Lamp & Mine Supply Ad 1895
American Safety Bonneted Clanny Front
American Safety Bonneted Clanny Marking
  American Safety Bonneted Clanny Side.JPG - AMERICAN SAFETY LAMP BONNETED CLANNY - Seldom seen brass Clanny lamp with unusual two part steel bonnet, marked around top edge of base AMERICAN SAFETY LAMP & MINE SUPPLY CO. SCRANTON PA., round wick with wick pick, 9 3/4 in. tall to top of hook ring, base dia. 3 3/8 in., elaborate bonnet with rotating top part with perforated brass ring about lower steel bonnet, screw lock, one of two known examples in collections  [The American Safety Lamp and Mine Supply Co. along with James Everhart and Hughes Bros. were the big three manufacturers of American safety lamps at the start of the 20th century.  All three were located in Scranton PA.  American Safety Lamp and Mine Supply Co. was incorporated on Mar. 8, 1893 with a capitalization of $100,000.  Officers included M. E. McDonald president, O. S. Johnson vice president, Alexander Dick secretary, and A. H. Christy treasurer.  They were first listed in the 1893-1894 Scranton Business Directory as brass founders.  Later editions listed them as safety lamp manufacturers as well.  They were located at 1321-1335 Capouse Ave. in Scranton at the works and land formerly occupied by the Scranton Iron and Brass Co. which they purchased.  They offered a variety of safety lamps and at least one rare unmarked cast aluminum oil wick lamp with a flat back which their advertising called the indestructible.  The company went out of business in 1930.  The big three safety lamp manufacturers also shared a similar situation after the U. S. Bureau of Mines was established in 1910 with the charter of increasing mine safety.  Part of that effort resulted in a schedule for safety lamp testing issued in 1915.  None of the safety lamps manufactured by these three companies were approved by the Bureau of Mines for underground use.  After World War I, the safety lamp market in the US was dominated by the Wolf Safety Lamp Co. and Koehler Manufacturing whose lamps were approved as permissible by the Bureau of Mines.]  
American Safety Bonneted Clanny Open
American Safety Bonneted Clanny Bonnet Removed
American Safety Bonneted Clanny Bottom
ASL&MSCo Clanny
ASL&MSCo Clanny Marking

American Safety Bonneted Clanny Side | AMERICAN SAFETY LAMP BONNETED CLANNY - Seldom seen brass Clanny lamp with unusual two part steel bonnet, marked around top edge of base AMERICAN SAFETY LAMP & MINE SUPPLY CO. SCRANTON PA., round wick with wick pick, 9 3/4 in. tall to top of hook ring, base dia. 3 3/8 in., elaborate bonnet with rotating top part with perforated brass ring about lower steel bonnet, screw lock, one of two known examples in collections [The American Safety Lamp and Mine Supply Co. along with James Everhart and Hughes Bros. were the big three manufacturers of American safety lamps at the start of the 20th century. All three were located in Scranton PA. American Safety Lamp and Mine Supply Co. was incorporated on Mar. 8, 1893 with a capitalization of $100,000. Officers included M. E. McDonald president, O. S. Johnson vice president, Alexander Dick secretary, and A. H. Christy treasurer. They were first listed in the 1893-1894 Scranton Business Directory as brass founders. Later editions listed them as safety lamp manufacturers as well. They were located at 1321-1335 Capouse Ave. in Scranton at the works and land formerly occupied by the Scranton Iron and Brass Co. which they purchased. They offered a variety of safety lamps and at least one rare unmarked cast aluminum oil wick lamp with a flat back which their advertising called the indestructible. The company went out of business in 1930. The big three safety lamp manufacturers also shared a similar situation after the U. S. Bureau of Mines was established in 1910 with the charter of increasing mine safety. Part of that effort resulted in a schedule for safety lamp testing issued in 1915. None of the safety lamps manufactured by these three companies were approved by the Bureau of Mines for underground use. After World War I, the safety lamp market in the US was dominated by the Wolf Safety Lamp Co. and Koehler Manufacturing whose lamps were approved as permissible by the Bureau of Mines.] Download Original Image
Total images: 139 | Last update: 8/2/16 5:48 PM | Help