Up Souvenir Mining Spoons Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [C & A Shaft Bisbee, AZ.JPG - 1018kB]
Placerville1849
River Hill Mine Placerville, CA
River Hill Mine
River Hill Mine Placerville, CA bowl closeup
Irish Mag Shaft (C & A Mine)
  C & A Shaft Bisbee, AZ.JPG - SOUVENIR MINING SPOON C & A SHAFT BISBEE ARIZONA - Copper souvenir spoon, circa 1900, embossed mining scene in bowl with C. and A. Shaft above and Bisbee, Ariz. below, handle finial with Arizona territorial seal and ARIZONA on the handle, fancy design on handle reverse, 5 1/4 in. long [Although Phelps Dodge, owner and operator of the famous Copper Queen mine, was the largest mining company in Bisbee, Arizona it was not the only one. The Calumet and Arizona (C&A) Mining Company, organized in March 1901 with Charles Briggs as president, operated several large and profitable mines, principal among them the Irish Mag mine, adjacent to the Copper Queen.  By 1907, the C&A was the fourth-most productive copper mine in Arizona, and ran its own smelter in Douglas, Arizona. In 1911, the company merged with the Superior and Pittsburg Copper Company ultimately buying out Superior and Pittsburg in 1915.  The original C&A mine included 12 claims and 178 patented acres adjoining the Copper Queen.  With John C. Greenway as general manager, the company expanded operations to include the Irish Mag shaft to a depth of 1350 feet, the Ontario shaft to a depth of 1450 feet, the Powell shaft to 600 feet deep, the Hoatson shaft to 1530 feet deep and the Junction shaft to 1837 feet deep.  By 1910 the C&A employed 1274 men, 805 at the mine and 469 at the smelter.  In 1915 copper production exceeded 65 million pounds and by 1916, the company controlled over 2000 acres of mining property within the Warren Mining District.  The C&A was the first mine in Arizona to discontinue work on Sundays effective August 1910. The company’s fortunes took a turn for the worse in the 1920s and with the company failing, Phelps Dodge bought out their old nemesis in September 1931.]   
C & A Shaft
C & A Shaft Reverse
C & C Shaft Bowl
Ophir Mine Photo ca. 1870
Souvenir Mining Spoon Ophir Mine Virginia City Nev

C & A Shaft Bisbee, AZ | SOUVENIR MINING SPOON C & A SHAFT BISBEE ARIZONA - Copper souvenir spoon, circa 1900, embossed mining scene in bowl with C. and A. Shaft above and Bisbee, Ariz. below, handle finial with Arizona territorial seal and ARIZONA on the handle, fancy design on handle reverse, 5 1/4 in. long [Although Phelps Dodge, owner and operator of the famous Copper Queen mine, was the largest mining company in Bisbee, Arizona it was not the only one. The Calumet and Arizona (C&A) Mining Company, organized in March 1901 with Charles Briggs as president, operated several large and profitable mines, principal among them the Irish Mag mine, adjacent to the Copper Queen. By 1907, the C&A was the fourth-most productive copper mine in Arizona, and ran its own smelter in Douglas, Arizona. In 1911, the company merged with the Superior and Pittsburg Copper Company ultimately buying out Superior and Pittsburg in 1915. The original C&A mine included 12 claims and 178 patented acres adjoining the Copper Queen. With John C. Greenway as general manager, the company expanded operations to include the Irish Mag shaft to a depth of 1350 feet, the Ontario shaft to a depth of 1450 feet, the Powell shaft to 600 feet deep, the Hoatson shaft to 1530 feet deep and the Junction shaft to 1837 feet deep. By 1910 the C&A employed 1274 men, 805 at the mine and 469 at the smelter. In 1915 copper production exceeded 65 million pounds and by 1916, the company controlled over 2000 acres of mining property within the Warren Mining District. The C&A was the first mine in Arizona to discontinue work on Sundays effective August 1910. The company’s fortunes took a turn for the worse in the 1920s and with the company failing, Phelps Dodge bought out their old nemesis in September 1931.] Download Original Image
Total images: 216 | Last update: 5/22/17 5:27 PM | Help