Up Souvenir Mining Spoons Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Daly West Souvenir Spoon Park City UT.JPG - 2.3MB]
Souvenir Mining Spoon Bowl Fernie BC
Souvenir Mining Spoon Handle Top Fernie BC
Souvenir Mining Spoon Bowl Marking Fernie BC
Souvenir Mining Spoon Reverse Fernie BC
daly-west-mineUT4
  Daly West Souvenir Spoon Park City UT.JPG - SOUVENIR MINING SPOON DALY WEST MINE & MILL PARK CITY UT - Sterling silver souvenir mining spoon, bowl engraved DALY-WEST MINE & MILL PARK CITY, UTAH with a mining scene of mine and mill, length 6 in., weight 20 gms., handle features Lily of the Valley pattern (1885), monogrammed on back with script Q, Sterling mark and Whiting hallmark (The Park City District was one of Utah’s major mining areas along with the West Mountain (Bingham) and Tintic Districts.  The town of Park City is located 30 miles southeast of Salt Lake City in the Wasatch Mountains.  The town was originally called Parley’s Park when silver was first discovered in 1868.  With a population of 164 in 1870, the town continued to grow and the name was changed to Park City in 1872.  Several successful silver and lead mines were started including the Daly West Mine.  It is located in Summit county at an elevation of 8,376 feet and situated 2 miles south-southwest of Park City, near the head of Empire Canyon.  During the development of the Daly mine it was determined that the great Ontario lode extended westward beyond the limits of the Daly property.  This led to active prospecting and locating during the mid-1880s around the head of Empire Canyon.  The original holdings of the Daly West property embraced 40 patented lode claims, an undivided half being owned by J. B. Haggin, George Hearst, R. Chambers, et al. and the other half by John J. Daly.  The owners began systematic development of their property in the summer of 1891. By the end of 1892, the shaft had reached a depth of 1,255 feet and was connected with the west drift from the Daly mine. In October 1893, Daly incorporated his one-half as the Daly West Mining Co. with $1,500,000 capitalization in $20 shares under the laws of Utah. Soon after, the other half was acquired by the Ivanhoe Mining Co. of California.  Rich ore was found in the summer of 1894 and a period of extensive development and active mining followed. Throughout the following year the output increased significantly and in August 1895 the concentration mill was constructed.  Early in 1899 the Daly West and Ivanhoe companies were consolidated under the name Daly West Mining Co.  The total product of the Daly West from 1893 to 1906 sold for $11.2 million.  Park City was incorporated in 1884 and by 1896, when Utah became a state, the town had grown to 7,000 people.  Most of the mines closed in 1949, but some briefly opened for a bit in 1952. Though the mines opened again for a bit in the 1980s, it was clear that mining as the main stay of the town's economy was ending.  The idea of having a ski resort in Park City was born in 1963. Treasure Mountain Ski Resort gained some popularity in 1966 when Sports Illustrated gave it high marks in the quality of its runs. Soon, other ski resort outfits established themselves and Park City was reborn economically.)  
Daly West Souvenir Spoon
Daly West Souvenir Spoon Bowl Marking
IMG_2Daly West Souvenir Spoon Back
Daly West Souvenir Spoon Hallmark
Tomboy_Mine_and_mill,_Tomboy_Colorado

Daly West Souvenir Spoon Park City UT | SOUVENIR MINING SPOON DALY WEST MINE & MILL PARK CITY UT - Sterling silver souvenir mining spoon, bowl engraved DALY-WEST MINE & MILL PARK CITY, UTAH with a mining scene of mine and mill, length 6 in., weight 20 gms., handle features Lily of the Valley pattern (1885), monogrammed on back with script Q, Sterling mark and Whiting hallmark (The Park City District was one of Utah’s major mining areas along with the West Mountain (Bingham) and Tintic Districts. The town of Park City is located 30 miles southeast of Salt Lake City in the Wasatch Mountains. The town was originally called Parley’s Park when silver was first discovered in 1868. With a population of 164 in 1870, the town continued to grow and the name was changed to Park City in 1872. Several successful silver and lead mines were started including the Daly West Mine. It is located in Summit county at an elevation of 8,376 feet and situated 2 miles south-southwest of Park City, near the head of Empire Canyon. During the development of the Daly mine it was determined that the great Ontario lode extended westward beyond the limits of the Daly property. This led to active prospecting and locating during the mid-1880s around the head of Empire Canyon. The original holdings of the Daly West property embraced 40 patented lode claims, an undivided half being owned by J. B. Haggin, George Hearst, R. Chambers, et al. and the other half by John J. Daly. The owners began systematic development of their property in the summer of 1891. By the end of 1892, the shaft had reached a depth of 1,255 feet and was connected with the west drift from the Daly mine. In October 1893, Daly incorporated his one-half as the Daly West Mining Co. with $1,500,000 capitalization in $20 shares under the laws of Utah. Soon after, the other half was acquired by the Ivanhoe Mining Co. of California. Rich ore was found in the summer of 1894 and a period of extensive development and active mining followed. Throughout the following year the output increased significantly and in August 1895 the concentration mill was constructed. Early in 1899 the Daly West and Ivanhoe companies were consolidated under the name Daly West Mining Co. The total product of the Daly West from 1893 to 1906 sold for $11.2 million. Park City was incorporated in 1884 and by 1896, when Utah became a state, the town had grown to 7,000 people. Most of the mines closed in 1949, but some briefly opened for a bit in 1952. Though the mines opened again for a bit in the 1980s, it was clear that mining as the main stay of the town's economy was ending. The idea of having a ski resort in Park City was born in 1963. Treasure Mountain Ski Resort gained some popularity in 1966 when Sports Illustrated gave it high marks in the quality of its runs. Soon, other ski resort outfits established themselves and Park City was reborn economically.) Download Original Image
Total images: 352 | Last update: 8/7/21 2:27 PM | Help