Up Souvenir Mining Spoons Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Souvenir Mining Spoon Copper Flat Handle Marking.JPG - 1.1MB]
Souvenir Mining Spoon Porterfield Turquoise Mines Reverse Hallmark
Copper Flat; Ely District, White Pine County, Nevada c 1915
Souvenir Mining Spoon Copper Flat Ely Nevada
Souvenir Mining Spoon Copper Flat
Souvenir Mining Spoon Copper Flat Bowl
  Souvenir Mining Spoon Copper Flat Handle Marking.JPG - SOUVENIR MINING SPOON COPPER FLAT ELY NEVADA - Copper souvenir mining spoon, embossed scene of open pit copper mine in bowl with marking COPPER FLAT at bottom, handle is a skyline depiction of mountains with buildings and smokestacks and a bridge with ELY NEVADA marked on handle, Steptoe Mining and Smelting Co. is marked at the bottom of the skyline, reverse has Paye & Baker makers mark with Sterling x’ed out, 5 1/4 in. long, weight 21 grams [Copper Flat is today a general reference to the area in eastern Nevada where the great copper discoveries were made at the first of the 20th century.  Copper Flat was also small settlement for a short time in this area (now long gone) approximately 6 miles west of Ely, NV in White Pine County.  The Copper Flat area is also associated with several small towns including Kimberly, Riepetown, Ruth and Veteran. The famed open-pit copper mines of eastern Nevada, including the Liberty Pit (largest in the state), are located in this area between Ely and Ruth just south of Highway 50. Through the first half of the 20th century, this area produced nearly a billion dollars in copper, gold and silver. The first mining claims were filed in White Pine County, Nevada, as early as 1867, and the first copper claim was filed in the summer of 1900.  Over the next couple years, an additional 26 claims covering 437 acres of the Copper Flat area were filed.  The Nevada Consolidated Copper Company was organized and incorporated under the laws of Maine on November 17, 1904 to buy up and operate these claims. By May 1906, the company was controlled by the Guggenheim family and their associates and in 1907, steam shovels began stripping the overburden above the Eureka mine to start the open pit mining operations.  In 1906, the Nevada Consolidated Copper Company and the Cumberland and Ely Mining Corporation formed a partnership to build a smelter in the area to process the ores from Copper Flat.  Named the Steptoe Valley Mining and Smelting Company, the smelter started construction in December 1906 at the small town of McGill some 12 miles north of Ely.  The smelter was completed and operations began on May 15, 1908.  The first copper was shipped from the smelter on August 7 of the same year. Kennecott Utah Copper acquired Nevada Consolidated Copper Company, which included Steptoe Valley Mining and Smelting Company and the smelter at McGill, in 1932. In 1983, the price of copper along with the low grade ore being mined led to Kennecott closing the smelter and demolishing it.]  
Souvenir Mining Spoon Copper Flat Makers Mark
Souvenir Mining Spoon Copper Flat Reverse Side
Main_Street,_Goldfield,_Nevada,_1904
Souvenir Mining Spoon Goldfield, NV
Souvenir Mining Spoon Goldfield

Souvenir Mining Spoon Copper Flat Handle Marking | SOUVENIR MINING SPOON COPPER FLAT ELY NEVADA - Copper souvenir mining spoon, embossed scene of open pit copper mine in bowl with marking COPPER FLAT at bottom, handle is a skyline depiction of mountains with buildings and smokestacks and a bridge with ELY NEVADA marked on handle, Steptoe Mining and Smelting Co. is marked at the bottom of the skyline, reverse has Paye & Baker makers mark with Sterling x’ed out, 5 1/4 in. long, weight 21 grams [Copper Flat is today a general reference to the area in eastern Nevada where the great copper discoveries were made at the first of the 20th century. Copper Flat was also small settlement for a short time in this area (now long gone) approximately 6 miles west of Ely, NV in White Pine County. The Copper Flat area is also associated with several small towns including Kimberly, Riepetown, Ruth and Veteran. The famed open-pit copper mines of eastern Nevada, including the Liberty Pit (largest in the state), are located in this area between Ely and Ruth just south of Highway 50. Through the first half of the 20th century, this area produced nearly a billion dollars in copper, gold and silver. The first mining claims were filed in White Pine County, Nevada, as early as 1867, and the first copper claim was filed in the summer of 1900. Over the next couple years, an additional 26 claims covering 437 acres of the Copper Flat area were filed. The Nevada Consolidated Copper Company was organized and incorporated under the laws of Maine on November 17, 1904 to buy up and operate these claims. By May 1906, the company was controlled by the Guggenheim family and their associates and in 1907, steam shovels began stripping the overburden above the Eureka mine to start the open pit mining operations. In 1906, the Nevada Consolidated Copper Company and the Cumberland and Ely Mining Corporation formed a partnership to build a smelter in the area to process the ores from Copper Flat. Named the Steptoe Valley Mining and Smelting Company, the smelter started construction in December 1906 at the small town of McGill some 12 miles north of Ely. The smelter was completed and operations began on May 15, 1908. The first copper was shipped from the smelter on August 7 of the same year. Kennecott Utah Copper acquired Nevada Consolidated Copper Company, which included Steptoe Valley Mining and Smelting Company and the smelter at McGill, in 1932. In 1983, the price of copper along with the low grade ore being mined led to Kennecott closing the smelter and demolishing it.] Download Original Image
Total images: 216 | Last update: 5/22/17 5:27 PM | Help