Up Souvenir Mining Spoons Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Souvenir Mining Spoon Park City Silver King.JPG - 1.1MB]
More Mining Spoons
Spray Shaft, Copper Queen (Postcard), Bisbee, AZ
Souvenir Mining Spoon Spray Shaft
Souvenir Mining Spoon Bowl Spray Shaft
Silver King Mine. Park City, UT (ca 1904)
  Souvenir Mining Spoon Park City Silver King.JPG - SOUVENIR MINING SPOON SILVER KING MINE PARK CITY - Sterling silver and enamel spoon,5 1/2 in. long, gold washed engraved mining scene in bowl with engraved SILVER KING MINE, PARK CITY, UTAH. in bowl, ca. 1900, back with sterling marking and Towle hallmark, weight 15 gms. [The Park City District was one of Utah’s major mining areas along with the West Mountain (Bingham) and Tintic Districts.  The town of Park City is located 30 miles southeast of Salt Lake City in the Wasatch Mountains.  The town was originally called Parley’s Park when silver was first discovered in 1868.  With a population of 164 in 1870, the town continued to grow and the name was changed to Park City in 1872.  Several successful silver and lead mines were started including the Ontario, Crescent, Anchor, Mayflower and Silver King. The Silver King Mine was a group of claims in Woodside Gulch, with the Mayflower mine as the starting point where Thomas Kearns and David Keith had their first mining claim, first recorded in 1891. The Mayflower claim adjoined the original Woodside claim, and Kearns and Keith started work in early February 1890. Ore was struck in the same ore vein at a depth of 200 feet in April 1890. The vein continued into the adjacent Silver King group, which itself was made up of four separate claims. Over a period of years, these claims were all under single ownership as the Silver King Mining Company which was organized in July 1892. The Silver King was served by one main vertical hoisting shaft, five vertical underground shafts and two drain tunnels, the total subterranean workings exceeding 200 miles. The Silver King became the largest producer of silver in Park City.  Park City was incorporated in 1884 and by 1896, when Utah became a state, the town had grown to 7,000 people.  Most of the mines closed in 1949, but some briefly opened for a bit in 1952. Though the mines opened again for a bit in the 1980s, it was clear that mining as the main stay of the town's economy was ending.  The idea of having a ski resort in Park City was born in 1963. Treasure Mountain Ski Resort gained some popularity in 1966 when Sports Illustrated gave it high marks in the quality of its runs. Soon, other ski resort outfits established themselves and Park City was reborn economically.]  
Souvenir Mining Spoon Bowl Park City Silver King
Gardner Shaft Postcard
Gardiner Shaft Postcard
Bisbee Spoon
Bisbee Spoon Embossed Picture

Souvenir Mining Spoon Park City Silver King | SOUVENIR MINING SPOON SILVER KING MINE PARK CITY - Sterling silver and enamel spoon, 5 1/2 in. long, gold washed engraved mining scene in bowl with engraved SILVER KING MINE, PARK CITY, UTAH. in bowl, ca. 1900, back with sterling marking and Towle hallmark, weight 15 gms. [The Park City District was one of Utah’s major mining areas along with the West Mountain (Bingham) and Tintic Districts. The town of Park City is located 30 miles southeast of Salt Lake City in the Wasatch Mountains. The town was originally called Parley’s Park when silver was first discovered in 1868. With a population of 164 in 1870, the town continued to grow and the name was changed to Park City in 1872. Several successful silver and lead mines were started including the Ontario, Crescent, Anchor, Mayflower and Silver King. The Silver King Mine was a group of claims in Woodside Gulch, with the Mayflower mine as the starting point where Thomas Kearns and David Keith had their first mining claim, first recorded in 1891. The Mayflower claim adjoined the original Woodside claim, and Kearns and Keith started work in early February 1890. Ore was struck in the same ore vein at a depth of 200 feet in April 1890. The vein continued into the adjacent Silver King group, which itself was made up of four separate claims. Over a period of years, these claims were all under single ownership as the Silver King Mining Company which was organized in July 1892. The Silver King was served by one main vertical hoisting shaft, five vertical underground shafts and two drain tunnels, the total subterranean workings exceeding 200 miles. The Silver King became the largest producer of silver in Park City. Park City was incorporated in 1884 and by 1896, when Utah became a state, the town had grown to 7,000 people. Most of the mines closed in 1949, but some briefly opened for a bit in 1952. Though the mines opened again for a bit in the 1980s, it was clear that mining as the main stay of the town's economy was ending. The idea of having a ski resort in Park City was born in 1963. Treasure Mountain Ski Resort gained some popularity in 1966 when Sports Illustrated gave it high marks in the quality of its runs. Soon, other ski resort outfits established themselves and Park City was reborn economically.] Download Original Image
Total images: 216 | Last update: 5/22/17 5:27 PM | Help