Up Souvenir Mining Spoons Prev Next Slideshow

 Previous image  Next image  Index page  Original Image [Souvenir Mining Spoon Reverse Morning Mill Mullan ID.JPG - 685kB]
Cobalt Ontario Canada Top
USGS Photo of Morning Mine Mill Mullan ID ca 1900
Souvenir Mining Spoon Morning Mill
Souvenir Mining Spoon Morning Mill Mullan ID
Souvenir Mining Spoon Bowl Morning Mill Mullan ID
  Souvenir Mining Spoon Reverse Morning Mill Mullan ID.JPG - SOUVENIR MINING SPOON MORNING MINE MILL MULLAN ID - Sterling demitasse spoon with engraved mine mill in bowl, marked MORNING MILL MULLAN, IDA., top shows gold pan with nuggets, pick and shovel, bucket on top with silver rope wrapped around handle, reverse marked Sterling, 4 1/8 in. long  [Mullan, Idaho, incorporated in 1913, was named for United States Army Captain John Mullan who, in 1850, was given the task of building a 640 mile, twenty-five foot wide road to connect the headwaters of the Missouri River in Fort Benton, Montana to the headwaters of the Columbia River in Walla Walla, Washington. This road, called the Military Road, cut a trail across Idaho’s panhandle in 1859 and 1860.  In the 1880’s, gold was discovered, and this led to the Murray Gold Rush of 1884.  During the winter of 1884, four men spent the winter in what is now known as the Mullan area. In May of 1884, Joseph Hunter and Frank Moore discovered the silver-lead lode destined to become the Gold Hunter Mine. In less than a month, George Good and C.C. Earle staked the Morning and Evening Lode claims downstream from the Hunter.  The Grouse Claim, an extension of the Morning Mine, was also located in 1884. In September, the Atlas lode, or Carbonate Hill, was found.  The leading mine was the Morning, the second largest mine in the Coeur d’Alene’s, situated on Chloride Hill in the Hunter Mining district two miles from Mullan.  The Morning mine was developed in 1889 by Charles Hussey, a Spokane banker. The mine had a work force of 100 men.  The period of time between 1892 and 1900 was a time of labor disputes, strikes and violence throughout the district.   The Morning Mine was sold in 1897 when a new mill was built, and the No. 6 tunnel was driven from the mill site near Mullan to the mine. In 1905, the mine was purchased by the Federal Mining and Smelting Company, which merged with Asarco in 1953. At the Morning mill, Federal's metallurgists wrestled with the problem of separating zinc and lead from the complex ore. Selective flotation, discovered in the 1920s, solved this problem. In 1961, Hecla leased the mine and in 1966 purchased the property.  The Morning mine and Star mine, both on the same orebody, were then operated as the Star-Morning unit. The Morning Mine on the east end of the orebody is lead/silver-rich whereas the Star Mine is zinc-rich.  Fire destroyed the Morning mill in 1957. Hecla quit mining the Star-Morning in 1982. The Star-Phoenix Mining Company leased the mine, but the Star-Morning again closed in 1990 after producing over 40 million ounces of silver during its 100 years of operation.  This was once the deepest mine in the US, with workings 7900 feet deep. The Star-Morning had the second largest production in the district after the Bunker Hill.]  
Nevada City 1866
Nevada City CA Gold Panning
Nevada City CA
Nevada City CA Gold Panning Bowl
Nevada City CA Gold Panning Top

Souvenir Mining Spoon Reverse Morning Mill Mullan ID | SOUVENIR MINING SPOON MORNING MINE MILL MULLAN ID - Sterling demitasse spoon with engraved mine mill in bowl, marked MORNING MILL MULLAN, IDA., top shows gold pan with nuggets, pick and shovel, bucket on top with silver rope wrapped around handle, reverse marked Sterling, 4 1/8 in. long [Mullan, Idaho, incorporated in 1913, was named for United States Army Captain John Mullan who, in 1850, was given the task of building a 640 mile, twenty-five foot wide road to connect the headwaters of the Missouri River in Fort Benton, Montana to the headwaters of the Columbia River in Walla Walla, Washington. This road, called the Military Road, cut a trail across Idaho’s panhandle in 1859 and 1860. In the 1880’s, gold was discovered, and this led to the Murray Gold Rush of 1884. During the winter of 1884, four men spent the winter in what is now known as the Mullan area. In May of 1884, Joseph Hunter and Frank Moore discovered the silver-lead lode destined to become the Gold Hunter Mine. In less than a month, George Good and C.C. Earle staked the Morning and Evening Lode claims downstream from the Hunter. The Grouse Claim, an extension of the Morning Mine, was also located in 1884. In September, the Atlas lode, or Carbonate Hill, was found. The leading mine was the Morning, the second largest mine in the Coeur d’Alene’s, situated on Chloride Hill in the Hunter Mining district two miles from Mullan. The Morning mine was developed in 1889 by Charles Hussey, a Spokane banker. The mine had a work force of 100 men. The period of time between 1892 and 1900 was a time of labor disputes, strikes and violence throughout the district. The Morning Mine was sold in 1897 when a new mill was built, and the No. 6 tunnel was driven from the mill site near Mullan to the mine. In 1905, the mine was purchased by the Federal Mining and Smelting Company, which merged with Asarco in 1953. At the Morning mill, Federal's metallurgists wrestled with the problem of separating zinc and lead from the complex ore. Selective flotation, discovered in the 1920s, solved this problem. In 1961, Hecla leased the mine and in 1966 purchased the property. The Morning mine and Star mine, both on the same orebody, were then operated as the Star-Morning unit. The Morning Mine on the east end of the orebody is lead/silver-rich whereas the Star Mine is zinc-rich. Fire destroyed the Morning mill in 1957. Hecla quit mining the Star-Morning in 1982. The Star-Phoenix Mining Company leased the mine, but the Star-Morning again closed in 1990 after producing over 40 million ounces of silver during its 100 years of operation. This was once the deepest mine in the US, with workings 7900 feet deep. The Star-Morning had the second largest production in the district after the Bunker Hill.] Download Original Image
Total images: 216 | Last update: 5/22/17 5:27 PM | Help